Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing Timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 AM
MrPorsche951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Timing belt.

Do I need to study distributor cap and rotor replacement?
I read about it on Clark's but I am serrriously confused.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they haven't been done in a while, do them with the belt. They are easy.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:43 AM
MrPorsche951
Banned

I really have the ambition to do all the belts. I would like to do as much as I can while I'm in there. How would you go about changing the belts and rollers.

I want to do this without having to order special tools. Ideas, Insluts, and helpful tips are always welcomed!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:09 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would prefer that you had a pro do it if you're worried about the distributor cap and rotor. However, it's your car. There are NO SHORT CUTS! You screw this up and you are in for a new valves, and probably some head work, new gasket, and God knows what your tech will find while he's in there.
If you are going to do this, plan to do ABSOLUTELY everything listed in Clarks write up. It's there for a reason. A novice needs to follow those instructions to a tee. That's why they are written the way that they are.
I'm not saying it's too difficult, but you are displaying a youthful sense of over eagerness that is troubling. SLOW DOWN!
I completely understand your excitement, but the littany of FORMER 951 owners, who were too broke and in too much of a hurry is almost limitless. They don't own 951's anymore!

Give yourself a full two weeks of study, then get all of the tools and parts into one spot, THEN plan for a week of doing nothing but working on the car. Don't go fast. Attention to detail is everything. Plan for a reasonable time frame per day...perhaps 5 hours straight, but no more. Take breaks. You need to be able to maintain your focus. More importantly, you MUST maintain your patience.

We'veall been there. We all get it.
Oh... and yes, you need to remove the dizzy cap. If you're going to do that anyway, why wouldn't you change the rotor and dust cover, hell the plug wires and plugs, while you're at it.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 AM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

I have a belt tensioning tool for sale if you don't want to guess at it.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 AM
mike220
Advanced

mortymower - how much posted to the UK ?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

+1,000,000 on ehall's comments

I am a relatively new 951 owner, with wrenching skills in the 4/10 range (my best guess - maybe only a 3). I acquired the tools and parts and spent hours reading up on the belt change and was about to start it two weeks ago... When sanity prevailed and I said to myself " Self! $600 to have a pro do it or $4K to fix what I could screw up - what are you thinking?"

My best advice to you if you are adamant about doing it is - wait think about it again, get a quote or two and then decide if you have enough confidence in your ability to do it. If you do, find someone who has done it before and have them work with you throught the process and follow Clark's on a line by line basis. I had literally made a checklist with tick boxes based on Clark's and the different posting here and on Pelican parts. It was over 10 pages long.

I will do it one day, but not until I can do it an feel that my skills are sufficient and that when the job is done I could get in the car and drive it until I had to retension the belt without an afterthought.

Quick Reply: Replacing Timing belt.