Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno’d 2 Cars: Need Help Finding Non-Boost (?) related Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:24 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excessive advance per load on a given setup will result in reduced power with factory DME.
If this car is more efficient around the torque peak area, it won't recover by the end of a dyno run.

I would now put the APE chip into the weak car and dyno, and change nothing else, but that's just me.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Also forgot to mention this earlier, the hp/torque curve on the weak car has a bit of a wiggle, or saw tooth to the curves. The strong car's curves are smoother. Dyno shop guys thought that was a symptom of a timing/ignition problem....(?).
Perhaps what he is referring to is that the saw tooth pattern might be a reflection of an advanced (aggressive) timing curve being pulled back by the KLR/DME as it dectects knocking, thus always keeping timing as advanced as possible, on "the ragged edge" so to speak.

While the smooth torque curve might be an indication that since the timing is already retarded, the KLR/DME does not need to make any adjustments since the peak cylinder pressures are lower and not causing any type of knocking. Sounds like an important clue in the puzzle.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thought, I know you said you have swapped just about everything, but.... Is it possible that you have reused the cam tower? I mean, if you have a couple of bad lobes on the cam, it might be just enough to cause reduced lift, or maybe a few bad lifters, or maybe even bad valve springs. Also problems like these might, just might, cause enough noise to confuse the KLR/DME to think they are knocking noises and cause it to pull timing. Of course this is just a SWAG (swinging wild *** guess).

Quick Reply: Dyno’d 2 Cars: Need Help Finding Non-Boost (?) related Power Loss