$1k and an amatuer. Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 AM
MrPorsche951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1k and an amatuer. Opinions please

Projects for next weekend are:

1. Painting Intake and some other parts.

2. Cutting out the Cat

3. Allignment, Wheel Balances.

4. Spark Plugs.

I have 1k to spend right now on upgrades. I want to order some upgrades that an amatuer with a wrench can apply.

1. Vacuum lines from Lindsey Racing. Can a amatuer complete this job?
I have a few diagrams and charts to help me out.

2. Lindsey Racing Stage II Mass Air Flow Kit. I will be ordering this, my question is: What Turbo Inlet size should I order? I have an 86.

3. Kit # 1 Fuel Rail system from Lindsey. Will this be effective without any other upgrades? Should I attempt changing fuel rails, or is this a job left to the pros?

Thanks Guys.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Why are you going to change fuel rails? You should probably put your money elsewhere right now, the stock fuel rail shouldn't have any issues unless it's leaking.

If you get a MAF, you'll also need to get chips burned for it. The MAF itself is 700 and chips will probably run you ~200 so you've already burned up your money. I'd suggest finding a stock airbox for right now and doing the exhaust work first. You can buy a test pipe with cat delete pipe for ~600.

Vacuum lines won't be hard, but to do it right I'd suggest you remove the intake manifold.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 AM
MrPorsche951
Banned

I have to get a chip burned for the MAF ? Damn it.
Looks like I'll be putting my intake on the outside of the fender now.

Besides the vacuum lines, what should I upgrade? I plan on buying $500-$700 of upgrades every month.

I am looking for a good place to start,
Thanks Darwin

For the exhaust, I have everything I need to replace the cat. I'll get that done next week
Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by MrPorsche951
I have to get a chip burned for the MAF ? Damn it.
Looks like I'll be putting my intake on the outside of the fender now.

Besides the vacuum lines, what should I upgrade? I plan on buying $500-$700 of upgrades every month.

I am looking for a good place to start,
Thanks Darwin

For the exhaust, I have everything I need to replace the cat. I'll get that done next week
Yep, new chips are needed. MAFs are completely different from the old tech in the AFM.

As far as exhaust, what do you have and how do you plan to do it? If you have 1k and already have the exhaust taken care of, I'd probably look into a catback.

Last edited by Darwantae951; 07-14-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah what exhaust do you have?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:48 AM
MrPorsche951
Banned

I have an ANSA exhaust now, not sure what muffler, and ANSA tips. I am cutting out the cat and putting on a Borla exhaust.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Darwantae951

Before you go hacking into the exhaust you may want to look into either a bursch test pipe (2.5 inch) or a Fabspeed/SFR test pipe (3 inch). They will run you about 600 and come without cats. That would be MUCH better than just cutting the stock exhaust, because then you will run into the issue of rerouting the wastegate tie in.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPorsche951
Projects for next weekend are:

1. Painting Intake and some other parts.

2. Cutting out the Cat

3. Allignment, Wheel Balances.

4. Spark Plugs.

I have 1k to spend right now on upgrades. I want to order some upgrades that an amatuer with a wrench can apply.

1. Vacuum lines from Lindsey Racing. Can a amatuer complete this job?
I have a few diagrams and charts to help me out.

2. Lindsey Racing Stage II Mass Air Flow Kit. I will be ordering this, my question is: What Turbo Inlet size should I order? I have an 86.

3. Kit # 1 Fuel Rail system from Lindsey. Will this be effective without any other upgrades? Should I attempt changing fuel rails, or is this a job left to the pros?

Thanks Guys.
The fuel rail alone won't gain you any horsepower but replacing the rubber lines with hydraulic lines should buy some peace of mind (fewer potential points of failure, no 20yo rubber, all fittings are AN-style self-sealing). Not to mention, it looks really nice (I just installed one on my 924S for those 2 reasons). I believe that the vacuum lines are a pretty straightforward job as well
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Darwin across the board in this case. In fact, I need to ask a question. When was the timing belt and water pump changed on this car? If you don't have that answer for an ABSOLUTE FACT and if you haven't had your own guy check the tension of the T-belt for you, to confirm, then STOP! Put your money where it counts. If the t-belt goes, on your budget, the party is over!
Darwin already covered exhaust.
I would think very seriously about keeping that money in the bank. Unless you are prepared to get into some serious DIY maintenance, you're going to need that grand for that purpose...before you know it.
I'm just trying to save you some heartache. I don't blame you for wanting to start adding stuff, but you might do well to really learn alot more about this car before you do. Poorly planned mods on a car that is fundamentaly shaky is a recipe for disaster with these cars.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by ehall
I agree with Darwin across the board in this case. In fact, I need to ask a question. When was the timing belt and water pump changed on this car? If you don't have that answer for an ABSOLUTE FACT and if you haven't had your own guy check the tension of the T-belt for you, to confirm, then STOP! Put your money where it counts. If the t-belt goes, on your budget, the party is over!
Darwin already covered exhaust.
I would think very seriously about keeping that money in the bank. Unless you are prepared to get into some serious DIY maintenance, you're going to need that grand for that purpose...before you know it.
I'm just trying to save you some heartache. I don't blame you for wanting to start adding stuff, but you might do well to really learn alot more about this car before you do. Poorly planned mods on a car that is fundamentaly shaky is a recipe for disaster with these cars.
Very well put ehall.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Agreed here as well. As tempting as it is to change stuff and do mods as soon as possible, definitely follow Ehall's suggestions re the belts. Then once you've got the motor in correct running order look at what mods to upgrade to. In regards to that my suggestion is to stop, wait, reassess, stop again, search more, wait, then continue to put your money into a special account for your mods. The little step by step mods are almost always sold on at a loss fairly soon after you discover that you want more of everything. Sure there are certain things worth doing, but the vast majority of us would all look back on some mods that we've done and wished we'd waited to do something really worthwhile.
Just my 0.02cents worth...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need a hand and fancy coming down to Jersey I'd be glad to help ya out.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Save your money.

Save it for a decent plan of modifications with a determined end goal. Else you will just be looking for your next fix and 3 years later you will be broke and have added 1K in value to your car if you dont root it and go backwards

Note the stream of advice of all us retards that spent a lot of money on our cars in the past and consequently realised the stupidity of it all.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree with everyone. Spend the money to make sure the car is sound. Start with the belts and make sure all of the routine maintenance is done.

Then plan your upgrade path - know what it is that you want for the car. For example, I pick a project for the next winter each spring. Then I research over the summer using the Internet, vendors and other owners (while driving the car and fixing the niggling little things that come up on 20+ year old cars). In the fall, I buy everything that I need and slowly try to work through the project over the winter. This approach does four things. (1) It forces you to think about what you want to do and why, (2) it allows to budget effectively for a specific projects and control your spend; (3) allows you to focus on specific areas to build skills and confidence in your wrenching ability (I started with easier things like vacuum lines and venturi delete and will tackle suspension the coming years); (4) gives you plenty of time to get the project completed and then you are not pressed to cut corners.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

changing out the vacuum hoses w/the silicon hoses is very simple. Just make sure to have small small zipties by your side, I used those just to get more secure of a fitting on the t-sections.

Quick Reply: $1k and an amatuer. Opinions please