944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ok - Fuzion ZRi or Hankook Ventus RS2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008 | 07:13 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Default Ok - Fuzion ZRi or Hankook Ventus RS2?

Got seat time in both? I wanna hear from you!

Fuzion's seem to get wonderful reviews end to end.

Hankooks appear to be the stickier tire (bigger blocks, lower UTGQ) but have less feedback overall.

Leaning towards the Fuzions - can anyone talk me over to the Hankooks?

Usage will be aggressive street with an occasional auto-x and HPDE usage when I don't mount up the RA1's.
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:01 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Got seat time in both? I wanna hear from you!

Fuzion's seem to get wonderful reviews end to end.

Hankooks appear to be the stickier tire (bigger blocks, lower UTGQ) but have less feedback overall.

Leaning towards the Fuzions - can anyone talk me over to the Hankooks?

Usage will be aggressive street with an occasional auto-x and HPDE usage when I don't mount up the RA1's.
LFA951 can talk you into the Hankooks. The Fuzions are great aggressive street tires especially in the rain, but I think the Hankooks beat them on the dry and the DE stuff you do. Since you already have a set of RA1's the Hankooks are closer to them. I run the Fuzions on 2 cars and love them but I bet a hard DE day would wear them out quick once hot. Personally I would just swap between the Fuzions and the RA1's depending on the intended use.
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:37 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

ZRi's are worthless past 50% wear, and they have a lot more sidewall flex than I like.

Never drove with the Hankooks, but I have been in a car with hankooks (not those), and it was a very sticky tire.
Old 07-14-2008 | 01:16 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
LFA951 can talk you into the Hankooks. The Fuzions are great aggressive street tires especially in the rain, but I think the Hankooks beat them on the dry and the DE stuff you do. Since you already have a set of RA1's the Hankooks are closer to them. I run the Fuzions on 2 cars and love them but I bet a hard DE day would wear them out quick once hot. Personally I would just swap between the Fuzions and the RA1's depending on the intended use.
Thanks KuHL, I'll take it from here... I've never had the Fuzions, but I did consider them 2 years ago, until I saw them at a Bridgestone dealer and noticed the hideous looking sidewall. I decided to go with the Hankook RS2 since they were relatively new and were featured in a Car and Driver test against the best tires out there on Tirerack.

In September, it will be two years I have the Hankook RS2s and the rears are more worn out than the fronts. They are very quiet and never fall out of round, even after sitting for a week, they have solid sidewalls, good wet traction and great dry traction, even though treadwear is 200 or 8/32", they last long and the rubber compound does not deteriorate as quick as you would think. Extremely stable at high speeds (120-150mph) and inspire confidence when changing lanes quickly at 100mph+ and they have unparalelled cornering capabilities. For $400 for all four, you will not find a better tire, plus the sidewall is pretty!
Old 07-14-2008 | 06:45 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Ain't touching the ugly side wall thing. Already saw that discussion.

Any idea when was the Car and Driver review was?
Old 07-14-2008 | 07:31 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Any idea when was the Car and Driver review was?
They have the R2S as fifth out of eleven mostly due to wet grip. Keep in mind that some of the tires that rated higher may not be available in sizes to fit stock wheels

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1
Old 07-14-2008 | 07:40 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
They have the R2S as fifth out of eleven mostly due to wet grip. Keep in mind that some of the tires that rated higher may not be available in sizes to fit stock wheels

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1
As the test results show, the Hankook came in second place, it was the only other tire than the Goodyear and Yokohama that did 0.94gs in lateral grip, that is reson enough to buy it...
Old 07-15-2008 | 02:28 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Cool. Thanks. Ordered up the 'kooks from onlinetire for $400 to the door. Pretty reasonable.
Old 07-15-2008 | 02:31 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

I was posting that C&D has them listed as fifth overall with the wet traction being what knocked it down the ranks. What I take from the article is that the dry grip is so close between the top tires that they use their wet grip as the largest KPI to set final place. I didn't convay this very well while trying to get a post out really quick while at work.

I have the R2S tires on my car and love them. While my use of the tires is mostly tame around town driving, I have pushed them on occasion and have been impressed. One thing I really like is that they're quiet even when being scrubbed. I find tire screech very annoying especially since it turns heads and draws attention. These tires have not exibited any screech while either being cornered hard or broken loose when boost kicks in.
My sizes are 225/50/16 and 245/45/16 on stock phonedials.
Old 07-15-2008 | 01:13 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Cool. Thanks. Ordered up the 'kooks from onlinetire for $400 to the door. Pretty reasonable.
Good choice, you will not be dissapointed, check them out on my avatar, let us know how you like them!

Quick Reply: Ok - Fuzion ZRi or Hankook Ventus RS2?