Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vacuum fuel vapor purge

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008 | 10:17 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Default vacuum fuel vapor purge

Just got my first 951, (love it- will post some pics, and give a rundown on the car, very soon!) and am in the process of "getting to know it". Has a bit of a lumpy idle, more noticable when warm, so I went peeking at the seemingly miles of connections in hard to see areas! You'll have to excuse me, and please remember when replying, that I don't know hardly ANY of the correct terminology for this car yet!

I've been using the search (this list is the ultimate manual!) and found vacuum diagrams and have figured out my loose/missing connection names. The "thermo/switch" "rabbit ears" connection on the rear of the head under the last intake runner has two vacuum fittings. I have one coming from the "shutoff/control" valve for the fuel vapor, right by the master cylinder. The other "rabbit" connection is "M.I.A.". I have found it is supposed to go to the throttle body, however I see no fitting or vac line. Is the damn thing UNDER it- on the bottom?

Also, the shutoff/control valve has a larger vacuum hose heading to the throttle body/air intake hose area. This line just stops, is open, and it's not quite long enough to reach the air intake hose (elbow intake hose piece coming from the airflow meter to turbo I suppose). The air intake hose has a connection down low on the side that nothing is going to. I'm guessing that's where this goes. Looks like maybe the coolant reservoir needs to be removed to access this? My hand is too big......

Anyway, looks like I'm going to have lots of fun! Car rocks! Could these vac leaks cause my lumpy idle? I saw in the archives many had bypassed some of this stuff. I do get a faint fuel odor, and now I'm pretty sure this is why.

Not sure if my boost is boosting quite as high as it should, but I doubt these connections will affect that.

Glad to be aboard, I'm 36 and have wanted one of these since I was 15!

Mitch
'86 951 (ultra rare Guards red!)
'99 996
Old 06-27-2008 | 10:38 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

OK, the line you said goes to nothing, does go to the j-boot. The connection for the rabbit ears sensor IS under the t/body, you can get to it by looking directly under the t/b and feeling with your fingers. It can be accessed without removing the t/b, but the intercooler pipes need to come off, which you would have to do anyway to repair the line that is supposed to go the j-boot mentioned above.

ANY vacuum leaks will affect the idle, and BOOST levels.
Old 06-27-2008 | 10:39 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

The vac nipple on the throttle body is indeed on the bottom of it, pointing forward.

And you are correct, the vac line to the fuel vapor purge valve comes from the jboot. If I remember correctly, there is a small 90* metal fitting that joins that vac line to the jboot utilizing hose clamps to secure it.

(edit: Doug's got quicker fingers than I.....)
Old 06-27-2008 | 10:42 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Beat you out by a minute! Time to work on your words per minute!
Old 06-27-2008 | 10:44 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpideySlave944
Beat you out by a minute! Time to work on your words per minute!
Or be more concise.
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:18 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

I figured it out right after I posted this. I hooked everything back up, and couldn't tell much difference. Certainly was not for the worse, and I did not smell any gas. Might be idling a little better, still has the occasional "hiccup".

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: vacuum fuel vapor purge