Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebuilt CV/Axle Assembly for $69.99

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 AM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt CV/Axle Assembly for $69.99

I spent a good bit of time searching the forum for people using the inexpensive CV/Axle Assemblies you can get at O'Reilly for $69.99 each side, but was unable to find an answer to the specific question I have.

On the website, using an '86 944 (they did not have the 951) and searching for "CV", it came up with an assembly, but it says "w/o turbo" next to it. I am thinking this is misleading since I also did a search for an '88 944S and it came up with the exact same part. I could not find a turbo version of the car in their system, of any year, so my question is, will these assemblies work on the 951? I am under the assumption they will since Paragon offers complete Lobro assemblies for the 944 and they are listed as working on ALL late 944s, turbo included.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I've used these twice now, once on my old 83 and again on the 951 years later. I can't remember but I thought the diameter of the shaft between the spines was larger on the 86 951 than the NA but it was 5 years ago. On my 951 I just swapped the new CV's, boots, and repacked them, to the old turbo axle shafts and turned in the old CV's and repainted axles that came with the CV's for the core. If the axles themselves are the same diameter I wasted a lot of messy time but I didn't have the 83 anymore to compare them to. They don't list the turbo because they have a lifetime warranty and will self destruct much easier than on the NA. But yes the CV's are pretty universal.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:00 AM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the insight. I did a *very* crude measurement of the diameters by measuring the diameter of the shaft and diameter of the cv joint in the image provided by oreillyauto.com and doing the same on the image provided by paragon and they were nearly the exact same ratio. Admittedly, this is probably a ridiculous way to measure them, but I think I am going to get them on order, since worst case scenario I will just do what you have described. All my CVs really need is a repacking, but for 70 bucks a piece it isn't even worth messing around, might as well just get them new (rebuilt)!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can say with absolute certainty that the 944 n/a and the 951 both use the same half shafts - I'm currently running "951" half shafts on my n/a. Of course mine's an 87 (using 87 or 88 half shafts), but I'm pretty sure the same applies to the early ones as well (for that matter I'm using an 86 951 gearbox, so a lot must carry over).

I believe the 951 ones do have more splines on the axle shafts at the CV joint mounting point... but as long as your CV's match your axle shafts, you should be ok. The only concern would be that the half shafts would be too weak for 951 power, but I'm sure they'll fit.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
...I believe the 951 ones do have more splines on the axle shafts at the CV joint mounting point... but as long as your CV's match your axle shafts, you should be ok. The only concern would be that the half shafts would be too weak for 951 power, but I'm sure they'll fit.

If the 951 axle had more splines than the NA the CV's would not interchange between NA and 951. I doubt there is any difference between the two axle shafts. If the axles themselves are no different they must be strong enough for the standard 951. Have you ever heard of a axle failing between CV's? CV's or stub axles fail all the time, but I've never seen a sheared axle shaft yet. The CV is the weak link is that assembly.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt CV/Axle Assembly for $69.99