Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The little things kill me

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
GuyKeefer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The little things kill me

Ok, so I'm hitting my one year anniversary of having my car. It's amazing to drive and brings me much happiness. And while it's in pretty good shape, there are a lot of tiny little things that are beyond my skill to fix or I don't have the room/equipment to fix.

So getting to the issue and questions it brings forth: I brought my car in to get the oil changed and the tires balanced; no big deal, I've brought my car there once before and have brought my wife's car there also. I get a call three hours later from the shop saying that the sheath for the oil dipstick is no longer attached to the engine and that they don't feel comfortable doing anything to the car. Not a big deal, the other places I've had to the car to never had a problem with it, but that's fine besides wasting my afternoon. So I pick my car up and pull out of the parking lot when I hear a thunk behind me as I drive off. Lo and behold I see the sheath and the dipstick laying on the ground. Evidently the guy just randomly jammed the thing back where he thought it might go and said good job.

So, basically my questions are thus:

1. Unfortunately I need to drive the car to work tomorrow and possibly the rest of the week. Is my car going to be leaking oil everywhere/ getting contaminants into the oil?

2. What is the best way to fix this? I'm assuming the dipstick's sheath was welded onto the engine somehow, and I know that the PO used some sort of JB weld or other to try and rig it back together.

3. Does anyone have an extra dipstick? The pull ring on my got crushed as I ran over it.

And I knew that 951s were maintenance intensive when I got it. I can understand how to work on cars, I just don't have that much experience with it, nor much of the proper equipment besides all the sockets I could need. If anyone is in the NOVA area (specifically Stafford/Fredericksburg) and could show a young padawan how to turn a wrench on these wonderful vehicles, I'd be more then willing to provide the beer and my time.

I guess I should be happy my engine still works.

-GuyKeefer
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be pretty messy, yes.

Sounds like the PO was a moron. If you look under the intake manifold, theres a spot for a small bolt that the tube bolts to, via a flange on the tube. Thats what holds it in. The oil pan end just has an o-ring seal.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what holds it in.
Yea but its at a bad angle and hard to get bolt started on unless you have dinky little hands. Just stick the tube down into the hole in the pan. If you stare with a flashlight into the area you will see the little hole where it goes. Together with the dipstick rod it will stay - I ran that way for months. Order the two little parts from paragon, a spacer and an o-ring. Until you get it fixed right, just hold the tube down when you pull the dipstick. You'll be fine. Bruce
Old 06-25-2008, 12:38 AM
GuyKeefer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theedge-
Yes, I totally agree that the PO was a defininate moron. But then again, I'm also a moron for being taken in by his desciption of the vehicle.

F18Rep-
I will try your suggestion. I'll probably end up bring the vehicle in to get it estimated on Friday, so I can see how much it will cost to get the sheath reattached. I have some other engine work needing to be done, so maybe it won't be too bad.

-GuyKeefer

Quick Reply: The little things kill me