944 Turbo VIN mystery ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 PM
J.M. Griffith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Turbo VIN mystery ????

Hi all,
I have and 1988 944 Turbo that I've owned for a few years and it's been a great car. Just noticed something odd today with my VIN numbers. On my title, A-pillar ID, door jamb tag and tag in driver's side engine compartment VIN is WP0AA2953JN150541 which is consistent with a standard 1988 Turbo. I just noticed today that the VIN stamped into the wet cowl behind the shock tower has the number WP0ZZZ95ZJN150541 stamped there. This VIN is consistent with a Turbo "S" number.
My thoughts at first are sheet metal parts from another car to repair accident damage. This seems unlikely because;
1. I've been all over this car getting it ready for paint and aside from the normal minor ding/dent repair that you would expect on a car almost 20 years old I can't find any evidence of this.
2. If this has been a replacement part from a "doner" car and the car was an "S" what would the chances be that the last group of digits being the same (JN150541)?
3. Car fax shows nothing to indicate this just a minor accident with no damage that the PO informed me of when I bought it . Incidently if I put the "S" number in Car-Fax nothing comes up. I tried a few other S numbers from the registry and nothing comes up from them either.
If anyone could help me shed some light on this mystery I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.
Joel
Old 06-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

the ZZZ is used in ROW (rest of world) cars, outside of North america. All 944's have the 'ZZZ' stamped on the chasis in the engine bay. its normal.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:06 PM
J.M. Griffith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha,
This all makes sense now! Thanks so much for the clarification!
Joel

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo VIN mystery ????