Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No/hard start part 999999

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:32 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default No/hard start part 999999

I have checked my harness and it appears to be good...

recap:

car was running great , 2 hours later it wouldn't restart but has proper fuel pressure and spark + tach bounces. All 4 injectors are firing too. Tach would go nuts when car was off but key was on. Injectors would fire whenever tach went nuts. New speed/ref sensors, good harness. With the sensors disconnected from the harness the tach still went nuts (sounds like speed/ref sensor harness right?)

BUT when I disconnect the maxtronic map switching device (putting the car into no-start because there is no spark/fuel information on that chip image) the tach doesn't bounce and the injectors don't fire. Moving the maxtronic map switching device ribbon cable around seems to make the tach go crazy/fire the fuel injectors.

and as of last night/ today I started the car 2x. It would start up quickly and run, but not very well. My A/F gauge was indicating a lean mixture but when I added fuel it died and would not restart. Taking fuel would lean it out even more and raise the idle although it did rev more "crisply" when I took away fuel. I pull the plugs and they have tons of fuel on them and my exhaust is all sooty now.

Does it sound like something to do with the maxtronic is the problem here? or could it be the DME? - which I'm not sure about it because doesn't the maxtronic give the DME all the info it needs..

thanks guys
mike
Old 06-22-2008, 05:28 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still fighting this thing huh?

I am not sure what a Maxtronic is, but it may be the root of these bizarre problems.
If you wiggle the ribbon cable around and it makes the tach bounce, I would look there. Perhaps you have a termination problem with the connectors. Possibly a short between a couple of the conductors. Most ribbon cable connectors are a crimp type. Without the proper tool to make the crimp, it is easy for whomever made up the cable to have messed it up. I have had mixed results when doing this with plyers.

Quick Reply: No/hard start part 999999