SFR or Lindsey Intercooler Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not knocking or promoting either pipe but there is another consideration to think about with hard pipes.

Back when we were taking temps on our Thermal Hard Pipes we put 6 digital temp sensors in
the intake system. Including two (one on each end) in the turbo to intercooler pipe. One in the turbo
compressor outlet, and the other in the inlet neck of the intercooler. Looking to see how much temp
change happens in the stretch.

We compared the temp drop from point A to B with and without or thermal hard pipe in place to see how much more it pulled down the temp. We measured the temps before our THP was installed and found a temp drop of 50-60 degrees with our standard aluminum hard pipe in that span. I'm not sure if SS will radiate off the heat as efficiently as aluminum here. I'm sure somebody will know. So think of the pipes as additional/supplemental intercoolers and not just a way to get air from point A to B.

Once upon a very short time we offered thermal coated pipes. Then realized that was a mistake since it would contain the heat otherwise radiated off. The original goal was to keep the engine heat from soaking into them. Best left raw and uncoated.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Not knocking or promoting either pipe but there is another consideration to think about with hard pipes.

Back when we were taking temps on our Thermal Hard Pipes we put 6 digital temp sensors in
the intake system. Including two (one on each end) in the turbo to intercooler pipe. One in the turbo
compressor outlet, and the other in the inlet neck of the intercooler. Looking to see how much temp
change happens in the stretch.

We compared the temp drop from point A to B with and without or thermal hard pipe in place to see how much more it pulled down the temp. We measured the temps before our THP was installed and found a temp drop of 50-60 degrees with our standard aluminum hard pipe in that span. I'm not sure if SS will radiate off the heat as efficiently as aluminum here. I'm sure somebody will know. So think of the pipes as additional/supplemental intercoolers and not just a way to get air from point A to B.

Once upon a very short time we offered thermal coated pipes. Then realized that was a mistake since it would contain the heat otherwise radiated off. The original goal was to keep the engine heat from soaking into them. Best left raw and uncoated.
I was actually going to ask/suggest that aluminum disperse heat faster than SS.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboX
I was actually going to ask/suggest that aluminum disperse heat faster than SS.
I currently use Lindsey pipes and am very pleased with them. They are very light and great for working with when the engine is hot. They cool off very quickly after being removed from a hot engine. I might be getting one or two SFR pipes to check out soon for a comparison.

Quick Reply: SFR or Lindsey Intercooler Pipes