Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wideband O2 Choices... Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Innovate LM-1 is imho the way to go if you have the cash. It's the only one I have any real experience with but it's pretty much the gold standard for its accuracy, reliability, and value.

You can hide the box in your glovebox so you will always have a digital readout, and you also have two configurable analog outputs (hook one up to your standalone, and another to the gauge of your choice). It can data-log on its own, or you can leave that up to your standalone.

Things go haywire from time to time and its nice to know if you're suddenly going lean at 1.2 bar because of a fluke weather condition or failing sensor. It also takes away a lot of worries when you can see that everything is working as it should be.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know if I can have an LC-1 hooked up to the XD-16 gauge, and a PC at the same time? Or does the LC-1 just have one output, either to a PC, or the gauge? I can't seem to find that on the website.

Thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming!

Matt
Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I have and like the Zeitronix -- great features added lately, such as event triggering (i.e., over boost, under lean, etc.) and the new gauge is good (agreed about the silver ring though). HOWEVER, I have one complaint: the darn wiring harness if made out of tiny little thin wires that are just not strong enough for the environment. They break, snap off the connector, etc. Also, in most wideband shootouts lately, the Z does not always score as good as others on a/f accuracy.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew951
Does anyone know if I can have an LC-1 hooked up to the XD-16 gauge, and a PC at the same time? Or does the LC-1 just have one output, either to a PC, or the gauge? I can't seem to find that on the website.

Thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming!

Matt
The answer in the form of a picture

Old 06-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I have and like the Zeitronix -- great features added lately, such as event triggering (i.e., over boost, under lean, etc.) and the new gauge is good (agreed about the silver ring though). HOWEVER, I have one complaint: the darn wiring harness if made out of tiny little thin wires that are just not strong enough for the environment. They break, snap off the connector, etc. Also, in most wideband shootouts lately, the Z does not always score as good as others on a/f accuracy.
Thanks for the good info! The small wires are an issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the others out there use the same gauge wire. I have seen the shootouts where Zeitronix didn't score quite as high, although - a lot of times the tests are not done by third parties.

Originally Posted by Dave951
The answer in the form of a picture

Thanks! I actually found that exact same picture in the LC-1 user guide, right before I went to bed last night. Thats exactly what I wanted to know, because I think for now I will just buy the LC-1 and XD-16, then later once I have a new turbo and stand-alone, or a piggyback, I will get the AUXBox to monitor everything else. I would buy the AUXBox in a kit with the LC-1 and XD-16, but Innovate doesn't carry a kit like that.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
eniac
Drifting

The thing that bugs me with these WBO2's, many piggybacks and still even some standalones is they all still use old serial ports. Not even my oldest and slowest 1ghz laptop has a serial port, and certainly none of my newer ones do. I know they make USB adapter but there is often issues with these.

I need to get a new WBO2 myself, since my last one died. But it has to have USB datalog connectivity. I am working on a car computer that will have a 7" touchscreen screen to replace my radio and some gauges, the WBO2 will need to plug into that, via USB.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Innovative sells the Serial to USB adapter with the associated drivers. I imagine it would work fine with there product if they sell it as an accessory.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave951
Innovative sells the Serial to USB adapter with the associated drivers. I imagine it would work fine with there product if they sell it as an accessory.
Yeah they do, it probably works fine but it still bugs me that these companies are still so far behind on certain things. If I'm putting something new in my car, I want it to be new. I haven't even seen a laptop with a serial port in a long time. If anything the device should be USB and the adapter to serial....on second thought, these really should have bluetooth so I could just datalog to my cell phone that's sitting my pants pocket.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eniac
Yeah they do, it probably works fine but it still bugs me that these companies are still so far behind on certain things. If I'm putting something new in my car, I want it to be new. I haven't even seen a laptop with a serial port in a long time. If anything the device should be USB and the adapter to serial....on second thought, these really should have bluetooth so I could just datalog to my cell phone that's sitting my pants pocket.
Actually, Innovate does have a Bluetooth adapter, Found here!

The bluetooth isn't built in, but its available.

Most work duty laptops have serial ports. Serial ports won't be phased out for a good long time. I believe all Dell Latitudes, and I think all (?) Toshiba laptops have serial ports. Both my work laptop, and my Toshiba personal laptop (less than a year old) have a Serial port, and more USB ports than one person could ever use.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
Yeah they do, it probably works fine but it still bugs me that these companies are still so far behind on certain things.
I don't get it either. Cisco still uses serial console ports on all of their equipment. MegaSquirt uses a serial port too. The only adapter I've had good luck with is the Keyspan USA-19HS.

If you are looking for either a new or used laptop and want a built-in serial port, about the only one left that I know of is Dell. Their D-line in the 600 and 800 series still have a serial port. I have a D610 and it's been a very good laptop. My last company issued me a D620 and it was a very good laptop. If I was in the market for a Windows laptop, I'd go with the D630. D610 and D810 laptops go pretty cheap on eBay.

And FWIW, I just ordered the AEM. I know a couple of people who use them and they seem to be happy with them. I've heard some people don't like them, but everyone I personally know only had good things to say about them. I too am setting up for future modifications.

Now I'm off to find a gauge pod. Is the one from Lindsey any good? I think its a Lotek, but I'm not completely sure. I'd like to find one that replaces the pillar trim, not just cover the original one.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
Cisco still uses serial console ports on all of their equipment. MegaSquirt uses a serial port too. The only adapter I've had good luck with is the Keyspan USA-19HS.
Any type of data and voice switches use serial ports. Some even use RJ-11 for their console connection. I could not work in the field without a serial port.

And FWIW, I just ordered the AEM. I know a couple of people who use them and they seem to be happy with them. I've heard some people don't like them, but everyone I personally know only had good things to say about them. I too am setting up for future modifications.
I have heard good things about the AEM, and like I said all along - it's really personal preference on what the individual wants and likes. I like the expandability of the Innovate, and I think the software is designed very well.

Now I'm off to find a gauge pod. Is the one from Lindsey any good? I think its a Lotek, but I'm not completely sure. I'd like to find one that replaces the pillar trim, not just cover the original one.
I have an A-Pillar in my car, and it's VERY nice. It's an exact match to the interior. I've gotten many compliments that it looks factory. I need to locate the website I bought it from. I think it was roughly $80-100 with the flat black finish to match the interior.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Any type of data and voice switches use serial ports. Some even use RJ-11 for their console connection. I could not work in the field without a serial port.
Cisco uses an RJ-45. I've seen some very interesting console port interfaces over the years from various equipment manufacturers. I remember when Cisco has 25-pin serial ports. One vendor had a RJ-45 socket with a protrusion that had to be matched with a plug that had a recess - a standard RJ-45 plug wouldn't fit. We found a way to break out the protrusion so we could use a standard Cat 3 (at the time it was the most current) cable and we made our own RJ-45/DB9 adapters.

I have heard good things about the AEM, and like I said all along - it's really personal preference on what the individual wants and likes. I like the expandability of the Innovate, and I think the software is designed very well.
The Innovate is probably considerably better than AEM, but I only need something good enough to drive a MegaSquirt. I just want to keep it as simple as I can and I like that my gauges will match (boost). My future plans aren't as big as yours!

I have an A-Pillar in my car, and it's VERY nice. It's an exact match to the interior. I've gotten many compliments that it looks factory. I need to locate the website I bought it from. I think it was roughly $80-100 with the flat black finish to match the interior.
Was it Vivid Racing? I see that they offer the Lotek in a painted finish. Did yours replace the existing pillar cover or does it go over it?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was it Vivid Racing? I see that they offer the Lotek in a painted finish. Did yours replace the existing pillar cover or does it go over it?
Mine I bought right from GaugePods.com, and it replaces the factory A-Pillar, not a cover. Fairly straight forward install. Just go slow about removing the factory A-Pillar, so you don't tear any of the vinyl that covers the other trim panels.

Good Luck, Let me know if you need some advice. I am sure others can give good advice with the install also.

Matt
Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

< --- Thread jack.

Do all wideband O2's have to be installed in their own bung?

It seems a bit 'excessive' to have to have 2 separate O2 sensors in a car. I would think that a wide band could be installed, then it's break-out box be able to convert the signal to narrow output that would keep the DME happy, while still providing the wideband output to the gauge and data logging equipment.

My idea wouldn't be necessary for those that are using a stand alone that can utilize the signal, but would be more for people like me that are considering a Mafterburner, and need the wideband signal for tuning, while still using the factory DME w/chips to drive run the car.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
eniac
Drifting

I got mine from 9xauto.com. It's a nice peice and fit very well. Even after a really hot summer that distorted some of the factory Porsche interior pieces, this held it's shape.

Quick Reply: Wideband O2 Choices... Advice Please!