Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Air rush noise under car

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air rush noise under car

Over the past few days i've not had my stereo on and I've noticed that under boost I get a very audiable sound of rushing air coming from under the car. The car is building boost fine (i.e. i've not noticed any deterioration of how the boost builds, it builds strongly from below 3k rpm) and all my pipes and hoses in the engine bay seem to be securely attached and free from splits (though the sound is from under the car rather than in front of me) so I don't think I have a boost leak there.

I'm wondering if this is a noise that everyone has, maybe the noise of the wastegate dumping into the exhaust? It comes on as the car comes onto boost from atmospheric to 1 bar boost.

I have a Lindsay DPW with an MBC which is mounted in the engine bay set to 15psi max boost pressure. The exhaust is stock.

Cheers.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be hearing the turbo spooling up. I can hear mine.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrly924s
You might be hearing the turbo spooling up. I can hear mine.
+1 I hear mine as well. I thought at forst it was a boost leak but have checked all poss. places for leaks and found none. Determined it's just the sound of the turbo.

Have you checked for boost leaks?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
eniac
Drifting

Pressure test the intake if you think there is a leak.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
sawood12
Racer

I will carry out a more thorough check for boost leaks as all i've done so far is to carry out a cursory visual check of all the hoses and lines to ensure everything is connected and there are no splits in the system. However all I was trying to gauge initially is, is this a normal sound? If it is then I will be satisfied with that as i'm not detecting any deterioration in boost performance. The chances are this sound has always been there and i'm only hearing it recently as i've not had my stereo on.

I've had boost leaks before from the engine bay and the rushing air sound comes from the front of the car. In this case the sound is coming from underneath the car. I'll also check my DPW housing for cracking as by original wastegate had a crack alowing exhaust gasses to leak. Hopefully this hasn't happened again and i'm hearing exhaust gasses leaking from the crack.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sound of rushing air when you're on the boost is a very good sign of a boost leak. Check all your connections - check those connections on the intake manifold, too.

Quick Reply: Air rush noise under car