Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

20 50 GTX Castrol. Too Thick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The April 2008 edition of Spiel, Porsche Club of America Northwest Region magazine has an article on oil. The article is based on bulletins from Porsche. The article covers Porsches from 1965 to 2008. Below are some quotes. If anyone is interested, I can also scan the tables in the article.

"Porsche now recommends only synthetic oil and only viscosities of 0W-40, 5W-40 and 5W-50"

"Porsche changed to the 0W-40 oil in 2001 on all their models to eliminate cold start hydraulic lifter noise and now recommends it back to 1984."

As I mentioned before, when I ran 20W-50 in my 924S the cold chatter and oil warning light was a huge deterent. 0W-40 immediately solved the problem. 5W-50 works flawlessly in my 951. 0W-40 also does well in my 951 but idle oil pressure at high temperatures drops to "2". With 5W-50 it never drops below 2.75 regardless of temperature. After the 924S experience, I have no plans to try 20W-50.

Let me know if there is any interest in scanning and publishing the oil tables from the Spiel magazine.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seattle951
The April 2008 edition of Spiel, Porsche Club of America Northwest Region magazine has an article on oil. The article is based on bulletins from Porsche. The article covers Porsches from 1965 to 2008. Below are some quotes. If anyone is interested, I can also scan the tables in the article.

"Porsche now recommends only synthetic oil and only viscosities of 0W-40, 5W-40 and 5W-50"

"Porsche changed to the 0W-40 oil in 2001 on all their models to eliminate cold start hydraulic lifter noise and now recommends it back to 1984."

As I mentioned before, when I ran 20W-50 in my 924S the cold chatter and oil warning light was a huge deterent. 0W-40 immediately solved the problem. 5W-50 works flawlessly in my 951. 0W-40 also does well in my 951 but idle oil pressure at high temperatures drops to "2". With 5W-50 it never drops below 2.75 regardless of temperature. After the 924S experience, I have no plans to try 20W-50.

Let me know if there is any interest in scanning and publishing the oil tables from the Spiel magazine.
There is not. Your viscosity should be based on the temp range at which your car does most of it's duty. If you live in the North, lighter oil is important. If you live the heat of the South, where we didn't get even close to 20*F last winter, you should run a thicker oil. Synthetic oils are numbered such they they corresond to the temp. requirements of users in all sorts of locations.
U.S. oil standards have eliminated the vast majority of ZDDP components to protect a longer cat converter life. As a result the oil doesn't do the job it did 20 years ago. Do a search here. You'll find LOADS of info on the subject.
BTW those reccomendations that you quote are for cars within their originally machined tolerances. How many 20 year old cars do you think are still at that spec?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
There is not. Your viscosity should be based on the temp range at which your car does most of it's duty. If you live in the North, lighter oil is important. If you live the heat of the South, where we didn't get even close to 20*F last winter, you should run a thicker oil. Synthetic oils are numbered such they they corresond to the temp. requirements of users in all sorts of locations.
U.S. oil standards have eliminated the vast majority of ZDDP components to protect a longer cat converter life. As a result the oil doesn't do the job it did 20 years ago. Do a search here. You'll find LOADS of info on the subject.
BTW those reccomendations that you quote are for cars within their originally machined tolerances. How many 20 year old cars do you think are still at that spec?
+1

Quick Reply: 20 50 GTX Castrol. Too Thick?