Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starter Issue and WTB

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 AM
cosmo303
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issue and WTB

Im not sure if this is related but I just recently finished dropping a new engine. After about 10 starts the starter wouldn't work any longer. I had it tested and they said it was toast, said it was stuck on with the engine.
My question is could I have wired/mounted it wrong to cause this or did the solenoid just happen to go.
Is there something else that could cause this?
My last question, Anyone have a good starter for sale? (prefer local so i can get it sooner)

Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, if you wired the solenoid wrong it would have made a lot of noise on startup as the solenoid would not have "pulled back", causing it to burn up. Don't ask me how I found that out. Wasn't on my car, but when I worked for the Rolex team. Started the car after engine swap, ran for 20-30 seconds with us looking at it funny wondering what the noise was.... then.... BANG! Shut the car off and would not re-fire. Solenoid was toast from running at 1200 rpm (actualy a lot faster than that with gear reduction @ engine speed).
Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
cosmo303
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it was making a noise the last run before it wouldn't start. ok, so do the cables that goto the battery and alternator connect to the same post on the starter or separate posts?

Thanks
John

Quick Reply: Starter Issue and WTB