Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for my 1st 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:37 PM
gaidin00
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my 1st 951

I have been shopping around for a couple months for a 951, I am getting close to pulling the trigger, but I would like to know how installed performance upgrades will affect the reliabitly. I want one to play with and drive to the office (it runs me $140.00 to fill up my diesel). I also anticipate some maintanence costs, but does the upgraded turbo, computer mods, waste gate, etc. shorten the life of the engine?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:56 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all welcome to Rennlist!

First rule of thumb is that all performance mods will have an impact on reliability and lifespan. Of course it is all in how you drive it. If you make big hp mods and beat the hell out of the car you'd better like turning wrenches.

Second rule is to go with proven vendors that offer high levels of support for their products. Given the recent controversy on the subject I'd suggest the search function. Also, look at the mods listed in signatures and see whose motor blows up.

If I were in your shoes (which I was 4 years ago) I'd save my money and purchase the best example you could. Get ALL the maintenance up-to-date. Once you've got a reliable driver then proceed with mods knowing that your driving habits will impact reliability.

I have had a lot of success with my mods. The only maintenance I've experience has had to do with a 20 year car probably not being driven as much as it should.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't agree with SD more. Find a nice example regardless of year and mileage. Make sure maintance is up to date and have fun. Spend the money up front, you will be happy you did down the road.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Same here... and count on spending $3K to $5K in the first year unless the car is perfect and all maintenance is done in the last year.

I am about to do my first mod - a tame one. Eliminate the catalytic converter and go to a 3" exhaust.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That first mod will really wake the car up.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Default Plan on $12000 to $18000

As stated before, Same here, BUT Working in the automotive industry for 16years I still could not find a nice car to buy. All the $12-15000 cars still had the same worn out engine and problems as the $6-8000 cars. They just cost more money. So my advice to you is find a car as clean as possible then start deducting:I would start at $12-15000 for a perfect stock car. Then here is what I would deduct for:

Body: $300 per panel that needs work(be careful faded red is hard to match)
Engine: $5000 Plan on a rebuild (they will still run but all of the ones I have ever tested had poor leak down results. Also if it needs a turbo add $1000
Seats: $750 Do it right with full leather. Try to find one with sports seats.
Dash: $750
Tires/Wheels: $750+/- Find a car with the rims you already want.
Exhaust:$1200 most of these cars have cracked exhaust manifolds.
Misc: $500 sunroof gears/ odo gears (odo does not work hint hint..)dash lights weak etc. etc
Missing Parts: $750 most cars are missing lower belly engine covers. (bat wing and engine cover.)

I have tried to give you an idea of what most cars will need, and that just gets you a car that is now up to par.

Upgrades, If done correctly, will cost $$$$ but you can still have great reliability. Just read this forum for some ideas before you spend your money on upgrades. Also ask people who know from experience not just their bs. If you are thinking that you will have a 951 with 300rwhp reliably for less than $18000, you will find out that you are kidding yourself. But planning on spending at least $18000, you will build yourself a very nice car that will run circles around almost everything else on the road. Plus you will learn a lot about the car and Porsche engineering. Good Luck in your car hunt, but If you can not afford the 944 turbo, do not discount the 944 non turbo as a much cheaper but still very fun alternative.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
gaidin00
4th Gear

Thanks guys, all extremely helpfull advise. The good news is that I have already braced myself for a pretty expensive first year getting the car into primo shape. I will definately be consulting the forum on any mods that I may look into. It will probably be a while on those, I figure it best to learn to drive the car well (considering there is so much stock potential) and then beefing it up. If you guys don't mind, I might throw out for a consult when I do find what I am looking for.

I am looking forward to becoming and addict!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

1) A cheap Porsche is an expensive Porsche.
2) Find a Rennlister who is nearby - I really wish I had someone along with me when I bought my 951.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gaidin00
If you guys don't mind, I might throw out for a consult when I do find what I am looking for.

I am looking forward to becoming and addict!
That's the whole reason this place exists! Keep us posted as to what your search turns up.

Membership is a great way to support this resource. The best money you'll spend towards your 951.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

A RL membership is also the cheapest thing you can buy for your 951.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM
gaidin00
4th Gear

Are there any specific things that I need to look at when viewing a 951? I am pretty handy mechanically, and have a pretty stocked shop, but the porsche design is new to me. I am just wondering if there are specific areas that I need to pay close attention to.

Without trying to start what I have seen can turn into a long issue, is it worth getting a PPI? I have heard mixed comments and since I know it does cost a little bit to have it done I don't want to be paying for multiple PPI's if there are "tell tale" signs of heavy problems that I can identify myself without shelling out any more money.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Default Clean cars are worth it!!

First have some one who know how to do a leak down test and have that done.
Then If it is worth going on look out for the following common failures:

Water pumps are common
Timing belts are neglected and are some times off 1 tooth.
Power steering racks leak
Power steering pumps leak
Exhaust manifolds crack
The clutch in the 944 is a common failure in high milage
Radiators are prone to leaking
Ac systems
Front a arms fail and are expensive to fix
Dash boards crack
Interiors rot with age.
shift linkages wear out
sunroof gears are stripped and not adjusted correctly
odo gear in the speedo is usually broken
door handles wear out and brake
ft and rear shocks are shot.
vacuum system is usually leaking or messed up.
etc.. etc...

I have personally looked at a bunch of 951 the past 6 months and found that MOST of the cars will need almost all of the above list.

One good point to bring up for all of you on this forum, is that if your car is in great shape, Do not undervalue what your car is really worth. Keep in mind when we are seeing 951 for sale on Ebay/ Autotrader/ etc... Most of these cars, while looking good on the outside, are just a piles of neglected junk. Just my observation from someone who looks and appraises cars (about 300+- a month) for a living.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Definitely find someone who knows these cars and preferably a mechanic who has worked on them. Get the PPI done by a trusted outfit. Don't just buy a car that has nice mags on it and looks cool.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

If you are not sure about the specifics of these cars, spend the money on the PPI. You can check alot of what Rich has said, and if those items are a go, have a PPI. It could save you $$$$'s

Quick Reply: Looking for my 1st 951