95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trigger wheel

Looking at a few MOTEC units.
Did a search on Trigger wheels.
Got a bunch of old posts.
Anything lately?
Anyone have pics. you guys just throw one on the Crank pulley?

Thanks.
My search was noob style and quick. So if you guys have a link. That would be awesome too.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 PM
944CS
Drifting

i can make you one, just let me know how many teeth you need and what diameter
Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Clewett Engineering> Expensive but very well spent>>>
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 944CS
I'm not doing a direct ignition. Keeping the distributor style. So it's whatever.
Pm a price on any set-ups your most familiar with. M4 or M48 is the way I'm heading.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dr. Dynamics
Clewett Engineering> Expensive but very well spent>>>
I saw that part in my search. Just looking at other options. Seems to be a fairly simple thing to do. I have seen some 60-2's and some mega squirt 36-1 wheels for nothing. Just need the sensor and a mount. I'll see what some people here have done well first.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Why not program the M48 for the factory sensors? They have it in the drop down menu.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris White makes a nice one.

Not going wasted spark at the minimum when you have a standalone = Epic fail
Old 05-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not going wasted spark at the minimum when you have a standalone = Epic fail
+1 you are leaving WAY too much on the table.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:23 AM
95ONE
Race Car

You think I'll make less power?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Why not program the M48 for the factory sensors? They have it in the drop down menu.
Alright. Direct ignition. If I get a proper wheel.. say 60-2. What else do I need besides some coils.

I'm so much better at the fabrication side of things. I feel like such an idiot in this arena. Clear understanding when you point it out to me, but somewhat clueless sometimes.
I'm tired of waiting. I can go direct spark later. I want my car running sooner. If I can use the stock stufff..... Sweet. Direct spark = more cash = later

Last edited by 95ONE; 01-06-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, having multiple inductive coils is the essential advantage of wasted spark. You are triggering off the crank (like stock) but have 2 coils - longer latency is esp. important at high RPMs and high boost. The name "wasted spark" is somewhat derogatory in that the fact that the spark is wasted is really an inefficiency of the design. A crank only triggered ignition system cannot discern which "up" piston is on it's power stroke - it just fires on "up" pistons and 2 at a time (hence 2 coils with 2 outputs each). Your net latency is essentially doubled even with the "wasted" spark. Plus, these coils are more robust than a 21 year old Bosch unit. A new WS coil costs less a new cap and rotor for our cars and has a much longer mean time between failure/ replacement interval.

http://www.gill.co.uk/products/digit..._ign_index.asp

You would do yourself a favor by adapting a modern TPS as well and replace the digital one on the stock Mototronic system. That is some additional fab work.

As to the crank trigger, you can get 60-2 wheel and center it on the inside of the accessory belt pulley and fab up a boom to attach the sensor. Trigger wheel MUST be perfectly centered but other than that, pretty mundane stuff. It is all together still more work than you think right now sitting at your desk.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:59 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The trigger wheel doesn't matter for the ignition setup.
You can run whatever trigger setup the EMS supports with whatever ignition setup it supports (with the addition of a cam sensor). But for crank sensor triggering - doesn't matter.

Regarding the TPS you can use the stock 951 TPS. It's a regular variable resistance output TPS (just neglect the other pins on the connector.)
Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I guess i sometimes exaggerrate my lack of knowledge. I do understand 95% of these things.
I was not aware the M48 could use the stock triggering system. My tuner just mentioned that our stock system is really crumby as far as clean signals go. Sign wave is hardly noticeable off the Flywheel teeth. - what he told me.
So I thought I HAD to go with a different ignition system.
If the stock ECU can see it, and the MOTEC has the ability. I will just run with that.
I very much appreciate the info there.
I'll upgrade later this year if I can actually get this project running around a track sometime this summer. (bows head an prays for fun)

I'm Not going to rev above 6800 rpm. So distributor seems plenty capable for now. My coil is new.

My TPS is new also. I do realize that I can use Three out of the 5 wires as a typical TPS with the one I just bought. Although I do appreciate you guys trying to help there.

But If I do go 60-2. I really like the Clewett. It's already pre fabbed. Hell, most generic trigger set ups cost $250-300. Then I have to adapt it to fit. It's worth the extra $200 to not have to worry about perfect centering, fab work. They did that and it's clearly a A+ product. -

I guess I got what I wanted from this thread. I don't really NEED a trigger wheel with the M48. Thanks guys. You just saved me around 600bucks. I'm going to need that for the tuning!

Last edited by 95ONE; 01-06-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by evil 944t
I just got off the phone with MOTEC USA east. DOS only format on the M48and M4's. Drop down menu? not calling you out! just asking.

Also, The person I spoke with wasn't too familiar with the 944 Dual Sensors. Wasn't sure about using additional ref. and tying in to speed.

VERY friendly and helpful by the way. Totally at ease going this route now. Wish I would have started here.

Have you gotten the stock sensors to work with the MOTEC before?

And yeah. Crap. ok. I see. Moving on to full sequential for the fuel side.
individual coils too I guess. - it's going to mean I have to wait a month for the budget to catch up. Damn. I so tired of waiting! - seriously years at this point.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 944CS
Holy cow. FIERO racing in the background on your Avatar. very funny. (I've owned many)

Quick Reply: Trigger wheel