Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alternator ducting

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 AM
CP944T
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator ducting

Reinstalled a duralast alternator to replace my dead OE alternator. Noticed a couple things:
1. There is a slightly different configuration for the posts for the wiring, mostly that there is a black plastic guard-like piece near the posts on the back of the alternator, causing some difficulty in securing down the wiring at the correct angle for reinstalling the rear cooling duct.

2. Cooling duct - since plastic piece near the posts in #1 above is in the way, duct won't mount back up. Also, the studs for mounting the duct are MUCH shorter than the OE and I'm not sure I can even get some threads to secure it.

So, next steps are to remove alternator, see about getting rid of that plastic piece around the posts, and test fit the cooling duct while it's out.

Did a search, and many seem to suggest the cooling ducting is absolutely necessary for good alternator life, while there have also been cases of decent life without the ducting. Mine didn't have the hose, so the rear duct was basically shielding from oil/debris, and not offering much cooling.

Would a more current reman'd alternator still require the cooling? If so, source for a less deep rear duct?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I haven't run the ducting in 5 years.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 AM
CP944T
Advanced

Street, track, DE? I'm mostly weekend street/hwy with some commuting in traffic to work, and a few track days a year.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 AM
azmi951
Drifting

IMHO return your duralast alternator and buy a reman Bosch.

Also ducting is important for long alternator life. In fact go to a VW store and get the rigid tube they use for their heaters and use it for the cooling tube to the back of the alternator duct. It is cheap and makes your alternator happy.

Quick Reply: Alternator ducting