Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So what's the deal with using Water Wetter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So what's the deal with using Water Wetter?

Certain track organizations prohibit the use of antifreeze because spills create slippery hazards. Is Water Wetter the only alternative? Does it provide enough corrosion inhibitors and enough lubrication for the water pump and seals?

For those running just distilled water and WW, how many cans of WW do you use when filling the system?

Lastly, are there any maintenance issues that need to be addressed when using WW, like maybe a more frequent flush of the system?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used WW for years and years on various race cars and street cars with no issues. If you can find a dealership or shop that uses Justice Brothers products (not avail AFAIK to the public) they have an AWSOME product similar to WW but actual got better test results as long as distilled water is used with it. Somewhere around a 10 deg drop on the track. i will try and find the name of it for you.

I would say if it's a dedicated track car, and seeing constant temps on the gauge, you should not have to worry about changing it out more frequently. Most of my usage with it was on cars where depending on the track you would change the size of the radiator, and even then, if it came out clean we would try and re-use it. We would use a full bottle for the system if it was being filled from dry. Otherwise we would just eyeball it and add some here and there if we opened up the system and had a partial drain.

EDIT: the product is called Radiator Cooler, real original, LOL. But it works! can be run with A/F or just water, but best results with dist. water.

http://www.justicebrothers.com/pages..._additives.htm
Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi shiners - you will find water wetter with water will actually cool better than antifreeze mix. If you go look at a bottle I am certain it tells you on lable exactly how much to use........ I will see if I have a bottle left to look at....
Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

My routine is to put in distilled H2O and a bottle of Water Wetter at the beginning of the track season then dist water/antifreeze at the end of the season. No flush, just drain & refill. I have 5 years on my waterpump and it seems fine.

I had to replace my radiator over the winter because it was leaking at the seals and the interior didn't look bad at all. No issues in the cooling passages of the head, either, when I replaced it over the winter as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it dropped my peak track temps by at least 10 deg...if not more...great stuff...just think of what 10 deg difference makes in hp, reliability, and safety margin when things go bad...
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For years (6 or 7) I have run 100% distilled water and 1 bottle of water wetter in my 944 spec car.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool (pun intended), thanks guys!

Quick Reply: So what's the deal with using Water Wetter?