Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No Power Off Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast928
Okay, I think I may have found something this afternoon. Blocked off the crankcase lines. And still heard a lot of hissing under the intake. A lot of looking and spraying and I think I may have found it. Is it normal for the cycling valve and the idle control valve to leak?? Anybody had this before??

If I spray soapy water at the cycling valve connector it blows HUGE bubbles. ICV does some at the top of the body. None of the hoses appear to leak on either valve.

Anyone seen this before?? Not supposed to leak at either of those right!?
Yep, mine had a massive leak around the full circumference of the body where the 2 parts of it joined together. I used some silicone gasket around it, then wrapped it with a silicone hose and put a hose clamp on it.... Ghetto fix, but it beat the hell out of spending $200 on a new one, considering it did still function correctly.

If you haven't replaced the hoses under there, take a good hard look at them. Mine were all solid as a rock, and had cracks in them. The AOS hose was particularly brittle and most of the hoses wouldn't come off in one piece.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 AM
fast928
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I thought they shouldn't leak. I need the car this weekend but then I have a few weeks to get it fixed.

I'm planning on replacing those two valves (with used units) and replacing all the hoses at the same time. I'll report back when I finally get it all replaced. Anyone got a spare valve they don't need?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a CV that was only used for <1000 miles b4 I put my MBC on. $60 shipped? since they are 100 new I think.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 PM
fast928
Intermediate

PM sent spidey.

Anyone know the part numbers for the crankcase vent hoses? The one on the back by the oil filler and the one up front. I can't find the parts listed in PET. TIA!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:20 PM
fast928
Intermediate

Been a while....and I'm still fighting this car.

I haven't fixed those leaks above yet, I figure I'll do that this Winter and take the time to get the intake polished at the same time. I ran a compression test and the values were from 145 to 155 psi. So those look good. Now I feel "pretty" comfortable that the leaks under the intake are killing my off boost performance.

The new problem is that I'm not comfortable with my oil consumption. If I'm lucky I'm getting 1k miles/qt.....(if I'm lucky). Not sure I'm getting that "good" even. The problem is that I can't find any leaks. I found a few (small ones) and fixed those and no change in oil consumption. Now it seems I can smell it when I get on the car but I can't find anything. Almost like it's going through the turbo but I don't see any smoke out the exhaust when I jump on the car.

The odd thing is, when I first got the car two years ago it would puff when the turbo came up. Now it doesn't do that; no puff at all, but it does smell "oily" and I swear the performance has been dropping some too lately. No odd noises at all either. You think my turbo is dying bleeding oil through it?? Maybe contributing some to the low power problem??

As far as I know stock turbo (K26/8 - ~190k miles +/-). Any help out there?

Last edited by fast928; 08-23-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
2bridges
Drifting

check hard pipes for oil. If puddles in the bottoms you have a turbo pushing oil.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
fast928
Intermediate

Really!? I just changed plugs today and had to take off the top hard pipe. It was very wet with oil, not sure I would say puddles. There was maybe a small puddle in the lower coupling. Does that sound like a dying turbo???

I didn't think anything of the oil as all my Audi's look like that normally. I'll tell you though, the old plugs were covered with oil.

Quick Reply: No Power Off Boost?