Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Belt Squeals & Rough gassing <2000RPM - SOLVED for $10.00!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Caboose
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Squeals & Rough gassing <2000RPM - SOLVED for $10.00!

Well I just thought I would post this for anyone who has the same loud and annoying belt squeals that I had.

It was a really simple fix that only cost me $2.00! I was just trying to figure out why my belts would not shut up.

Finally I decided that I would dress them with an industrial grade Silicone and it got rid of the squeals. But the real trick was that I opened up my timing and camshaft cover on the top (No disassembly) and liberally applied silicone from every angle I could reach. I started it up and it ran beautifully. I couldn't even hear the idle!

I revved it a bit just to check for noise and then I felt the awful roughness that was immediately shown as soon as I hit the gas. I did a little research and found this stuff called "Sea Foam" which is a Gas / Oil additive for all engines. (even diesel) I read over the directions and decided that it wouldnt hurt the engine. I poured about half of the 12oz can into the oil filler.

After that I added about 8oz of "Lucas" Oil Stabilizer & Lubricant. This stuff supposedly gives the oil more viscosity whenever it is cold and it makes it thicker when its hot also. I was reading over the Oil Stabilizer directions and noticed it says it can be used in Differentials also, Naturally I jacked up the back and dumped about 6 oz into the Differential, then sealed it back up.

Afterwards I noticed that the Oil stabilizer works in ATF Dextron I, II, and III so I added the remaining 2 ounces to my Power Steering Reservoir.

Once this all was said and done, I started it up and revved it. It was magical, the car idled and revved like NEW! So in summation, just a little bit of $10.00 additives solved my rough gassing problem and my belt squeal! She runs even better then when I bought her.

Sorry for the Essay. I'm passionate about working on her, even with this little baby stuff like additives.

I'm really happy because I was getting ready to cough up for a TPS and an FPR, these additives completely dissolved all of my symptoms. Go figure..

Hope this is useful for someone else,
-Boose (Jordan)
Old 04-05-2008, 10:01 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to do an oil change after using the seafoam. It essentially breaks up all the build up crap that had been in the engine and a lot of that crap ends up in your oil. Not the best thing for bearings and whatnot.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Caboose
Instructor

Thanks, I'll get right on that.
Within 200 miles would be good?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by Caboose
Thanks, I'll get right on that.
Within 200 miles would be good?
uhhh more like within 20.

Find it curious you add one additive to break down varnish/sludge (sea-foam) and another (Lucas) to improve vescosity....... yeah...... no comprende
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad you're liking the results!

But yeah dude you need to get that seafoam out ASAP. And you should have waited until after the oil change to add the Lucas.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Caboose
Instructor

I thought that maybe the stabilizer would help the seafoam work better; the stabilizer would make the oil "stickier" and I thought that might help to pull off some of the sludge.

Oh well,
-Jordan

Quick Reply: Belt Squeals & Rough gassing <2000RPM - SOLVED for $10.00!