Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Getting the Car in Shape.. Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:24 PM
JimO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Getting the Car in Shape.. Paint?

I've had my '89 Turbo for a about year now and decided to do a few cosmetic upgrades. In doing any upgrades I've decided to keep the car looking as stock as possible. First off it was time for some tunes: JBL component speakers, Alpine head unit, Alpine amps, and a small JL sub-woofer. As I didn't want a sub woofer box visible I ended up installing one in the cubby holes. The car is fairly water-tight but face it it's still ~20 years old as such I had the sub-woofer box coated in Line-x. The sound is outstanding and the sub is pretty tight i.e. no loose ricer rap blub blub bass.

Next on the agenda was wheels and tires. I had the wheels sent out to Wheel Enhancement to get a 'stock' finish (please note pictures are 'before' not after as I'm STILL waiting to get them back). For tires, everything I've seen has been fairly positive for the Hankook Ventus. Car and Hankooks are in the garage waiting for the rims to show up. I'll let you know how they come out when I receive them.

The paint on the car is good but certainly not great. I would like to avoid a new paint job. I'm certainly open to any suggestions or reccs on a paint shop/detailer in the Atlanta area..Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks, Jim
Attached Images      
Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Car looks good, is the exterior graphite?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:55 PM
ratdog
Intermediate

not sure about the amp placement...vibes?
let us know how it works out after getting some miles on the setup

paint

detail it yourself and you'd be amazed at how much you can bring it back...i was
my guards red was oxidized, white, chalky and i never though anything short of a re-paint would work...i was wrong

some links that helped me out:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/
http://www.autogeek.net/glazes.html
meguiars
recent rennlist thread
http://www.properautocare.com/blackfire.html
meguiars 951 makeover
Old 04-05-2008, 05:18 PM
aventari
Instructor

I like that color paint a lot
Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there dent's, chips, rust, etc in the paint?

You will be amazed at the improvement that can be realized with a good detailing. I picked up a buffer, pads, Menzerna polishing compounds, and everything else I need to correct the paint on my car. (I will document the progress in a couple weeks.)

If you look around I am sure you will find many qualified detailers in ATL area.
If you want to try it yourself check out www.detailersdomain.com he is a site sponsor that offers a lister discount and it an absolute pleasure to do business with.

Quick Reply: Getting the Car in Shape.. Paint?