Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Setting rear sway bar drop links

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
goldminer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting rear sway bar drop links

I've installed some of the adjustable drop links on my rear sway bar. I've currently got them set at the shortest length. I assume that this is the softest setting and lengthening the drop links will push the sway bar down and stiffen it up. Is this correct?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I set mine so there is no tension on the bar when the car is level,to give consistency.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Define 'tension on the bar'. I also thought the point of the adjustable drops were to pretension the bar to provide crisper handling.

I can basically rotate the bar, mess with the eccentric, and set the drops to whatever length to match. At least that is what I have done and it has not seemed to matter.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think of it as a horizontal spring between the two sides of the car,when the car is cornering, one drop link is pushing the sway bar down(compressing) while the other is pulling it up(tension).No matter what sort of bushes you have you would think the bar would behave slightly differently going from tension to compression, so I think that 'latent state' should be when the car is level.
I use the drop links to adjust the sway bar to that level, not unusual to find a car that is different slightly from left to right.They take some of the play out as well.But suspension can be a personal thing so ymmv.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also was told by a few club racers when I started racing years ago to set the sway bar horizontal and adjust the drop links down to meet them as Rod stated above they have no tension on them as the car sits still and level.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming you want maximum handling under acceleration, load the sway bars with a little push on the right rear to help hold the car straight under heavy acceleration. This counteracts torque roll.

Quick Reply: Setting rear sway bar drop links