Innovate Wideband Question: RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Innovate Wideband Question: RPM

I just got an Innovate LM-1/XD-16 wideband and will be putting it on later today. One thing that perplexes me is how the system measures RPM...I don't see a sensor or wire for that. I see how RPM can be displayed/logged on the Logworks software but not a way to collect it either from the engine and/or ECU.

My hunch is that I am missing something...something else that I should have purchased.

Rick
Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You need one of the data logging boxes to record boost, RPM, EGT..etc. They have two or three different products that can do it, the most popular being the LMA-3 AuxBox. With that you can record EGT, duty cycle, RPM, boost and hook the wideband up to it. It can record a few other things also, but who honestly needs an accelerometer.. .
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 PM
fredseebeck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the LMA-3 box but need to know how to wire it for RPM from my 1979 930 CIS system.
The tach receives a signal from somewhere, but how do I wire into the LMA-3 unit specifically?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
You need one of the data logging boxes to record boost, RPM, EGT..etc. They have two or three different products that can do it, the most popular being the LMA-3 AuxBox. With that you can record EGT, duty cycle, RPM, boost and hook the wideband up to it. It can record a few other things also, but who honestly needs an accelerometer.. .
So the built in data logging (LM1) is only for A/F ratio?

You can't add the LMA3 to the LC1 can you? It's strickly A/F right?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philcav7

That's what I've determined...I guess I should have researched this more closely but I'm disappointed. I'm going to figure out how to run one of the analog inputs into my AIM system for logging.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I have a LM1 and a LMA3 very good tool. I wired my RPM signal into the main harness at the DME. For some reason it always registered the RPM twice what it really was. I did not figure out how to fix that before the car broke. So I still have some work to do.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
cb951
Rennlist Member

The LMA-3 Auxbox can definitely be added to the LC-1 (or to any of Innovate's products with serial capability), through its serial cable (not the analog outputs/inputs). Innovate refers to this as daisy-chaining the serial devices. This serial chain provides more accurate digital communication between devices. Check out Innovate's website. There's a wealth of info there about their products. You can even download all of the user/installation manuals in pdf form. Additionally, the forums on the site include answers to many questions other users have had, all broken down into fairly specific categories.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Innovate sells an inductive coupler tha goes over one of the plug wires. It works on the LM-1. I'm not sure about the LC-1.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cb951
The LMA-3 Auxbox can definitely be added to the LC-1 (or to any of Innovate's products with serial capability), through its serial cable (not the analog outputs/inputs). Innovate refers to this as daisy-chaining the serial devices. This serial chain provides more accurate digital communication between devices. Check out Innovate's website. There's a wealth of info there about their products. You can even download all of the user/installation manuals in pdf form. Additionally, the forums on the site include answers to many questions other users have had, all broken down into fairly specific categories.
Really? I didn't see mention of using the LMA3 with the LC1 on the site. Good to know. I bought the LC1 because I was just after A/F readings maybe I'll expand the cababilities later on.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

...I bought the LC1 because I was just after A/F readings maybe I'll expand the cababilities later on.
Exactly my current situation. It's nice to have the gauge, but to really see what's going on, you really need to data-log. I'll add the LMA-3 sometime in the near future. (Btw, the LC-1 alone has the capability of logging AFR using the included Logworks software, but only plotted against time, which isn't much help, but does show all AFRs recorded. When driving, it's impossible to keep an eye on the gauge at all times.) With the LMA-3 (or the more expensive DL-32, or the less expensive RPM converter), you can log AFR against rpm (and more with the LMA-3 and DL-32). You can then also set the warning function on the XD-16 gauge, which would be helpful while driving. That function requires both rpm and tps inputs (LMA-3 and DL-32).
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
fredseebeck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johntorg
Innovate sells an inductive coupler tha goes over one of the plug wires. It works on the LM-1. I'm not sure about the LC-1.
I don't want to buy the rpm inductive clamp as it is another cost for me and will not work properly with the OEM braided ignition wires.
I was really loooking for detailed instructions from someone here that could explain which wires to tap/splice into from either the CD ignition box (preferred method) or the tach (less preferable).
There has to be a way to hook into the LMA-3 input channels from the car without the RPM clamp right?
ALSO, This is a CIS car, not DME.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Fred, I have an LM-1, LC-1 and an LM-3, but have not tried to connect the Lm-3 to the LC-1.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

just go with the Zt2 everything is included all in a small box that is just as big as a credit card. and you dont have to pay 300 400 on boxes so you read boost egt etc. but you do have to buy a 100 sensor to read boost but thats about it

Quick Reply: Innovate Wideband Question: RPM