Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pick your poison. Stock chips or APE stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pick your poison. Stock chips or APE stage 2

I guess im sort of in a dilemma right now. I know both options are not ideal, but its what i have to work with right now. This is only temporary, probably 3-4 weeks. Would you run either..

1. Stock chips, MBC set to 11psi

or

2. APE Stage 2 chips, MBC set at 14 or 15psi

And all of this paired with a 3'' exhaust and 38mm Tial wastegate.

I know the APE run rich in the mids and run lean up top. Having looked at some old dyno charts and recently some newer ones, the APE chips really have me feeling 'iffy' about the tune. Do stock chips offer a better tune than the APE, or am i going to be in nearly the same boat in terms of AFR's with the two chips.

I dont care to much about the loss of power, i just want my car to survive one or two auto-x's before i can afford a set of Vitesse chips. Most people have run the APE chips for years without problems.. i just dont want to take any chances. I do have a wideband..but have not run the car yet with it hooked up. The car will be back on the road tomorrow.. just wondering if i should bother swapping the chips now, or just leave the APE in for the time being.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:10 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Honestly, I would just skip the autocrosses if you are that uncomfortable. I can tell you, definitively, you do not want to drop an engine or do an entire rebuild. You don't even want to know the amount of work involved.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If to be on the safe side, I vote stock and 11psi.

However, you might think about if the VR chip or board will also suggest a FP regulator upgrade. If so, you can buy that, put in a couple of extra pounds of fuel and probably be fine with the APE chips, but I'd get the WB hooked up. I take it in AutoX, you're keeping the rpms higher for some quick out boost.

Quick Reply: Pick your poison. Stock chips or APE stage 2