Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shop time oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop time oil pan?

Right now since I moved I only have a single car garage and don't have the room at all to work on the car. I was wondering how long it was taking people to do the oil pan gasket and rod bearings on their cars. I know I can look up on Clarks about the time but I also have the updated 2 piece crossover made into the Lindsey 3 Piece (so no need to pull the intake off). If you guys could post up about how much you paid/time involved to get yours done. Also, I know the gasket and rod bearings (since I am in there) anything else I should be looking at? I just did my turbo last fall, so all the exhaust gaskets have less then 500 miles on them.

Oh yea, when I say my garage is small at my new house, I am talking you have to pull the car all the way on the right side so you can get the drivers door half of the way open. Plus at the front of the garage, when I pull all the way in, I only have about 1'-1.5' at the back.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 AM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd do the oil pick-up or at least check for cracking using dye penetrant before it putting it back.........
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

shop book time is 12 hours. If you take it to a shop that knows these cars, and you have modifications that make it easier, you can prob get it done for 8-9 hours.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Chris Prack said most of the time 8 but he estimated 10 for $$, IIRC and the LR setup will save an hour or less for someone experienced. The key is a shop having an engine suspension set up or something to hold the engine while the cross member is dropped with the car on the lift. At home, 6T jack stands, you could use an engine lift to support it. I agree, change the pick up seal and give the pan a good cleaning.

My next garage will have a lift, my next garage will have a lift, my next garage will have a lift...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski

My next garage will have a lift, my next garage will have a lift, my next garage will have a lift...
keeping dreaming ski
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No $hit, I spell it POORSHA.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Just take it to Steinel's - they'll do it right. I don't think there is anyone more experienced in the area with these cars than they are. It will be worth the money.

BTW I'm in week three of my oil pan gasket, rod bearing, oil cooler seal, etc replacement project - that's with having a lift AND an engine support brace. Obviously I'm in no hurry and I really only want to do this one time. I should have the car back together this week.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Chipster, where do you live at? I always take my car to Steinels when I don't do the work myself. Very good shop. I lucky have be able to stay away for the last year!!! I upgraded my turbo last fall to a dry unit while replacing my 1 piece crossover to Lindsey's 3 piece by myself. The way I look at it, if it takes a shop 9-12 hours to do this work at $90-$100/hr that is min a grand to do the work. I see that grand going to my suspension!! I might be able to use my parents garage (20x22) to do the work. When I did the turbo last fall I had the car all jacked up will the belly pans off and even the steer rack disconnected from the crossmember. I ALMOST did the gasket then but really wanted to get the car on the road and to the dyno before winter hit.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a weekend thing with the garage and extra set of hands, provided you have hoist to hold the engine with hand tools; air tools a day, oh, and a beer or two with the pizza delivery. With the LR pipe, one of the most tedious things will be the steering knuckle.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Mike,

I'm in Columbus. We have a couple good shops down here but I'd much rather save the money and do it myself - plus, since I race the car, I like to know exactly what work is done and I work on MY schedule.

With the 3-piece crossover, this job becomes much easier and can be done in a weekend with the car on jacks like Ski said. You just need to support the engine. I finished putting my car back together last night. Using basically hand tools, I think it took me about 5 hours to put everything back together - that includes crossmember, headers, crossover, intake, PS rack and suspension. Other than adding oil & coolant, she's ready to crank.

Since this was my first time doing the pan seal, I spent a lot of time cleaning and inspecting parts and browsing Rennlist for tips and advice. I also had delays while waiting for parts to come in and of course the standard extra trips to the parts store for tools I needed.

If you've done this before and you know what tools, parts, and pieces you will need, and have a helper, it can be done in a weekend. However, I always plan time for that one nut/bolt/screw that frustrates the **** out of me and takes 5 times as long to remove/install than all the others.

Quick Reply: Shop time oil pan?