Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fabcar control arm maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thread resurrection for sure... I talk to Charlie from wrightwood racing last fall because I have their awesome control arms. I bought 20mm longer 19mm diameter pins that cost $300 for two. Charlie told me that he recommended I change them every year if I track the car due to the added stress of them being longer. He also mentioned that not just anyone can make those pins. Apparently they are made of very very strong material that not many manufacturers work with. Charlie has a bin of the stock height pins, 10mm longer and 20mm longer pins all 19mm in diameter. He also said 19mm is a must if you track your car. And that's all that he has avalible for his control arms. The spindles must be reamed out to 19mm by a machine shop(preferably who knows what they're doing). I also use elephant racing rear mono-ball mounts on my control arms with 400lbs front springs and 31hollow rear torsion bars. All solid mount rear end with poly bronze spring plate bushings. It's super nice on smooth roads and might as well put you in the hospital on a rough road.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Probably best to talk track events or mileage, not calendar age. 2 years may cover one DE event for one member, or 10 Club Races including Enduros for another.

Any recommendations for replacement based on number of track days? Do we have any information on the history/age/usage of any of these known pin failures? That would be really helpful.

I have replaced one of my pins since installed new. Car impacted a wall on that side, hard enough to bend the strut body. So I replaced that pin and bearing. No apparent damage, but done as a precaution.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:03 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Torque spec for the jet nut is 55 ft lb, to be installed with high-strength thread locker (red). I would replace it along with the pin.

Quick Reply: Fabcar control arm maintenance