Guess the problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
clangjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guess the problem

I need some advice and expertise.

This morning is a nice clar day so I decided to drive the 86 944 turbo into work. I hadn't driven it in about 2 weeks, which is pretty common.

This morning on my way in I noticed a clanging noise from the rear of the car, seemingly more so from the passenger side. I only hear it at lower speeds and it seems to go away at about 45mph. It may still exist at higher speeds but wind noise may be preventing me from hearing it. The noise is rhytmic and increases in frequency with the speed of the car; as I go faster so does the noise. There are no noticeable effects on driveability that I can notice. Nothing has changed on the car since last drive that could have created the noice.

The only other possibly linked abnormality is that I've notced that the car has started to like to slip out of 2nd gear on occasion, and really only when I am not on the gas. Again, this may just be an adjustment or something, and my not be at all related.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be experiencing?
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Best bet is to raise the rear of the car and spin the wheels by hand and listen. Could be a couple of things:
- loose CV joint bolts
- brake pads moving in the caliper
- loose parking brake component
- worn CV joint

Sorry. Can't help on the 2nd-gear issue.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Caboose
Instructor

I had same problem, a rythmic ticking from the rear driver side wheel. I replaced the Half-Shafts and CV Joints on both sides and haven't had a problem with that since.

+1 To loose or bad CV Joints.

You can try this before just replacing them. Buy youself some grease for the CV's and just pull the half shafts off of the transaxle. They are some cheese head bolts so you will need a 12 point tool to remove them. Once you have the CV's off pack a fresh coat of grease inside them, cover everything. Even put some grease on the receiving part of the wheel. (Where the CV goes) and then reinstall the half-shafts and make sure you torque the cheese head's to the book spec, they WILL back out.

GL,
-Boose
Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
clangjr
Racer

I will try raising the rear end as soon as possible.

I assume that having the LSD makes no difference in this procedure?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:13 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, same procedure.

While you've got the halfshaft removed, check the condition of the joint. Disassemble the joint and inspect the ***** and journals in the joint. If any of it's pitted or notably worn (read: looks uneven or just not pretty), replace the halfshaft. Unfortunately you've gotta replace the whole halfshaft if you've got a bad CV.

If the joint looks good, just pack it w/ grease. For some mysterious reason, the grease Porsche applied from the factory seems to evaporate over time, which is most likely the cause for your noise.

Reinstall the halfshaft and all will be well w/ the world again.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by clangjr
I will try raising the rear end as soon as possible.

I assume that having the LSD makes no difference in this procedure?
It shouldn't. You're only listening for unusual sounds. Doesn't matter which way the opposite wheel turns or doesn't turn.

Quick Reply: Guess the problem