Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

need short shifter info on all brands.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need short shifter info on all brands.

What is the shaft size on the short shifter kits that are made to fit the momo shift *****? I just received an awesome shift **** for free and I have been wanting to get a short shift kit for a while. The **** I have will work with a shaft size of 8,10, & 12mm and even a 14mm if I use no grommet.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lindsey lever doesnt really change the throw much but fits pretty much any momo ****. It was a little high for my liking though so i cut a tiny bit off and now its perfect.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:49 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

do you know what size the shaft is, or what size the hole for the momo **** is?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:49 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are adapters that allow you to install an aftermarket **** onto the factory shifter. I made my own using some copper pipe tubing from the hardware store. Found tubing that fit inside the ****, ground down the factory shift rod to accept tubing, and epoxied the tubing to the rod. I also shortened the height of the shift rod by a couple of inches.

Lowering the shift **** does nothing for an actual short throw, it's merely aesthetics, as the pivot is never changed. The short throw shift kits actually mount to the transmission in the back and it actually changes the shift pattern size.

** edit ** If I remember correctly, Kokeln is the only one that actually makes a short throw shifter that is the actual shift lever. It's an adjustable billet rod, that's pretty pricey and cool looking.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:05 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

it looks to me like the lindsey and kokeln are the exact same thing and both claim a 25% shorter throw, the SFR one claimes a 40% shorter throw.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They really dont shorten it much at all. I bought mine only because my old one was worn and i wanted something i can put different ***** on. Eventually i will buy the short shift linkage to use with this. I would definately recommend this though, the quality is really nice, but like i said, you may have to cut a little off to put the **** where your comfortable with it.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Lindsey Kokeln style lever combined with the Stuttgart block (this replaces the plastic block on the shift linkage on the transmission) after my Schnell shift linkage wore out prematurely. As mentioned this style of shift lever is taller than it needs to be and I shortened mine a fair amount. Also to get the "shortening effect" you need to raise it as much as possible.

Overall the shortened throw is not as short as the Schnell but it is smother and not as notchy either.

I am however fighting with a MOMO shift boot getting it to lock into place with the plastic ring that snaps into the console.

IPSC

Quick Reply: need short shifter info on all brands.