Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Phase one of my project

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Phase one of my project

Ive been ordering parts on and off the last couple months and now finally have everything together to start phase one of this cars build. Im planning to start tearing everything down wednesday afternoon and hopefully will have it all back together by friday night.

The details..

LR Stage 1 cylinder head, o-ringed deck
Widefire headgasket
LR steam vent kit
LR black **** boost controller
Cycling valve delete
EGT probes on each exhaust runner (its all apart..i figure why not )
New heater control valve
Tial 38mm wastegate
Replace rubber lines for the ISV and brake booster
Install IceShark battery cables and headlight harness
Install Transpo voltage regulator
Custom fuel jumper line (damper to rail) using Aeroquip hose and Push-Lok fittings
and 5lbs of silicone vacuum hose / lines..

Im also planning on removing the metal pipes under the intake and simply running one 19mm silicone hose from the AOS to the intake boot.

Wednesday i need to get the EGT bungs welded onto the spare set of exhaust manifolds i have..and still need to get the bung welded on for the wideband. I am going to leave the EGT bungs plugged for the time being until i get an EGT gauge. I only plan on monitor the 4th runner..but may eventually go for one of those 4-channel aerospace gauges to do all four at the same time.

Ive done the headgasket before on my n/a, so i dont expect it to be much different on this car. I think the most time is going to be spent cleaning and routing all the new lines / hoses (both vacuum and battery). Im really not looking forward to removing the cam tower. Ive removed them a couple times now, and every time i felt like the allen head bolts were about to snap off before they finally came loose. Other than that, the usual two allen head bolts for the water jacket on the cylinder head hopefully wont give me any issues either.

The car is running great right now, just turned 107k on the clock. Though the broken exhaust stud on the #2 runner is killing spool up. I figure now is as good a time as any to fix that and bullet proof the top end. I figure the o-ringed head will be more than suitable running 15psi (i dont plan to exceed this really). The car still has APE Stage 2 chips..and im probably going to take them out and go back to stock for the time being..then a few weeks down the line go with a set of Vitesse chips for the 26/6.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Other than that, the usual two allen head bolts for the water jacket on the cylinder head hopefully wont give me any issues either.
haha....at least we can dream
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to heat mine. Give it a little heat and it will come right off. I didnt believe the amount of rust under those bolts. Make sure you blow them out
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

good luck take a bunch of pics
Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I did the same thing running 3/4 inch silicone tubing from the AOS to the j-boot. Have had no issues so far! Good luck! I pretty much did the same things to my car (minus the stage 1 head...). Good luck!

-Darwin

FYI: the nipple on top of your original wastegate will thread into the intercooler pipe. An easy way to get rid of the banjo bolt there if you don't like it.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Darwin, i have Laust's vacuum manifold but its a single port and i have a dual port intake manifold (late '88). I am going to try and plug one of the two ports so i can use the manifold still, i may also be able to stack the manifold on the end of a longer banjo bolt also. Hopefully i can get one combination to work.

On my '87 n/a, those two allen head bolts holding the water jacket flange down came out pretty easily. They were practically finger tight. I was dreading removing those also! Hopefully its the same case this time around!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure you can find somebody to trade you for a single port manifold
Old 03-17-2008, 12:06 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Cool stuff. Good luck with it all. I'm waiting for the day I can post a similar thread to this. My first one will consist of rebuild parts mostly.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does installing the exhaust temp probes right on the manifold throw off the resonance at all? From what I understand there is quite a bit of engineering that went into the factory exhaust manifold?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Jon im doing the same thing with my car now, i already got my widefire hg, water oil gasket,rear cam ower gasket, new rubber cam tower gasket from lr, and a new catchcan for the oil. I got the cam tower off so far and just waiting for it to get warmer to finish up. Let me know how yours comes out.....need any help just give me a call..... -Adrian
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by adrian1
Jon im doing the same thing with my car now, i already got my widefire hg, water oil gasket,rear cam ower gasket, new rubber cam tower gasket from lr, and a new catchcan for the oil. I got the cam tower off so far and just waiting for it to get warmer to finish up. Let me know how yours comes out.....need any help just give me a call..... -Adrian
Weather is looking iffy tomorrow, though thursday, friday and saturday are looking good.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey TD, I was talking about the banjo bold coming off the turbo -> intercooler pipe. It is the line that the cycling valve senses boot pressure from.

-Darwin
Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Where did you get that 19mm hose and the fittings to run the AOS to the j-boot? I might do that when I have my manifold off in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
Where did you get that 19mm hose and the fittings to run the AOS to the j-boot? I might do that when I have my manifold off in the next couple of weeks.
All the hose is from BoostController.Com , the fittings are 3/4 barbed couplings from McMasterCarr.

Ironically the generic type 19mm hose in 45* and 90* bends is twice the price as the Samco equivalent. Beats me as to why.

Quick Reply: Phase one of my project