Very poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The 3bar FPR was installed brand spanking new out of the box, and with the previous 2.5bar the gas mileage sucked also.

I'm gonna change the fuel filter as soon as I can, and until then I will try unpluggin the O2 sensor to see if there is any change. If none, then I can suspect O2 sensor wiring is bad.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Loquat15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spanky
I now never run my car past 350 miles per tank just to avoid sucking in any solids that migth be in the bottom of the tank.
I dont mean to sound like a jerk...

BUT...

Don't all cars take fuel from the bottom of the tank anyways? I mean, come on... like it matters if its full or low, the crap is still hangin out in the bottom unless its sloshing around (it'll still get sucked up by the fuel pump).

I swear, it's a myth that if you run low you'll clog your stuff up.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Loquat15
I swear, it's a myth that if you run low you'll clog your stuff up.
Not really. While there's more fuel in the tank, the crud is more diluted even though the pump pulls the fuel from the bottom.

As the fuel level decreases, the concentration of crud in the fuel becomes greater and it's more likely to get sucked down by the fuel pump. Cheers.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 507 Posts
Default low fuel milage

The closer you allow the fluid to drop to zero level within the tank as the car moves the more the results of fuel sloshing about comes into play. Dirt, rust and what ever else that may be laying on the bottom of the tank as unsurspended solids due to it weight when the tank is full now gets whipped around by the wave motion of the remaining gas as you drive.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:31 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically in money you threw into this and gas money spent you coulda bought a wide band. Diagnosis right out of the box.
On a second note you only said how many miles to a 'tank' you get. But as other have said our gauges suck. So if you are only putting in 10gallons then that is not bad.
On a third note there is a HUGE difference in fuel economy on these depending how you drive. With 16 gallon fill ups I get 430 miles when I road trip and drive around. When I am driving short distances and messing around I get like 200 miles for the same fill up. Boost cost money

Quick Reply: Very poor gas mileage