Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Somewhat OT but my Acura brakes are pissing me off and some advise is needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
bigred1001
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewhat OT but my Acura brakes are pissing me off and some advise is needed

Hi all,

My 98 CL is a bit long in the tooth and needed work done on the rear brakes. I bought new pads and rotors and the write up looked pretty easy to replace both. Then I tried to get the rotor retaining screws off.

I soaked them in Pb Blaster
That did not work.

I took a blowtorch to them.
That got one off, the other snapped off.

I tried the other wheel after getting the one back together. No luck budging either one. They are F&&*ing fused to the hub.

Also,

Do you think its safe running one retaining screw? The wheels also hold the rotor in place, but I am just wondering.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 PM
hpfiend
Track Day

Bud-

You need to get a tool called an "impact driver". They sell them at NAPA for around 20 bucks. Basically with a number 3 phillips bit (3 or 1- whatever the biggest one is) you smack it with a hammer and it breaks them loose-

I used one on my brother-in-laws 03 civic and our 04 acura rsx-s- worked like a charm-

Also great for removing door latch screws...

I put neverseize on those bastards this time though...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:03 PM
bigred1001
Pro

Thats a good thought, but one was used. I used a very nice impact driver today and probably hit each screw 50-100 times. Luckily my uncle had one, but it did not do the trick.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Or just drill the heads off cleanly if the impact driver doesn't work (it doesn't always). In my experience running with one screw or even none is fine as the rotors self-center on the hubs and studs. The screws keep the rotor from flopping around when the wheels are removed, which seldom happens anyway as the rotors fuse to the hubs at least slightly. You can buy those stubby replacement screws at any autoparts place in the "special hardware" section.

Quick Reply: Somewhat OT but my Acura brakes are pissing me off and some advise is needed