Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone (else) still using a LINK AFM ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone (else) still using a LINK AFM ?

I got a hold of the LINK controller last week so I installed the LINK AFM into my 86 and started tuning. I had to blow off a few cobwebs and dig up some old notes and stuff. The results have actually been pretty good, Prior to starting with the LINK system I suspected my Air Flow Meter was a bit dodgy and pegging at a certain air flow at which point the voltage output levelled and the car was going lean. I swapped in a set of Huntley chips to overcome th boost limit. These immediately ran richer under idle and part throttle (compared to stock) but were still quite driveable. So I left those in and installed the LINK AFM to correct the rich idle and part throttle fuelling. This has worked pretty well with very good throttle response whilst driving. Some attention to throttle pumps also alleviated the hesitancy that was evident when blipping the throttle for downshifts. I think the previous documentation did not cover this really well and may have been the cause of some peoples problems with this system. There is a slight hesitation when revving the car from idle if the throttle is stabbed rather than pressed smoothly.This is not something that translates into an issue when driving though (not the way I drive anyway).

The only significant area I can see that I may have to re-work this is that the default configuration means that the output voltage is close to 5V at only 12.5 PSI (my current boost limit) and 6000 RPM so the voltage span/offset of the system might need adjusting so that it doesnt hit 5V with a sustained 15PSI at 5500-6500RPM. I am awaiting delivery af another WB AFR set before I spend time investigating this area.

I suspect the answer to this question is NO, but just wondering if anyone else is still using the LINK AFM?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two of my friends still use it with their 951's. Works just fine
Old 03-05-2008, 07:41 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Olli, thats good to hear. Any idea if they would like to share a copy of their log files which contain the configuration data. I have mine available as .txt file or in .xls spreadsheets which are easier to read - I can email them or put them on my web page.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppsoe those files can be arranged.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OZ951
Thanks Olli, thats good to hear. Any idea if they would like to share a copy of their log files which contain the configuration data. I have mine available as .txt file or in .xls spreadsheets which are easier to read - I can email them or put them on my web page.
I have one on my car with 83# injectors and Russel's chip. It runs and idles perfect even in the coldest weather. Aside from maxing out the sensor, I couldn't be happier with it as a piggyback. Your offset will need to be adjusted if your maxing out at 12.5psi. I run a sustained 23psi and 27psi switched boost since that where the sensor maxes out for me(23psi).

I'd share my log files if I had any or knew how to log with it on my laptop. How do you do it? I heard it can be done with an adapter and some software. I don't know how to make the adapter though.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eniac
I have one on my car with 83# injectors and Russel's chip. It runs and idles perfect even in the coldest weather. Aside from maxing out the sensor, I couldn't be happier with it as a piggyback. Your offset will need to be adjusted if your maxing out at 12.5psi. I run a sustained 23psi and 27psi switched boost since that where the sensor maxes out for me(23psi).

I'd share my log files if I had any or knew how to log with it on my laptop. How do you do it? I heard it can be done with an adapter and some software. I don't know how to make the adapter though.
A link serial adapter is needed for logging but you can just read the 16 configuration parameters straight from the hand controller. They are the first 16 parameters that you see when you enter the edit mode. Those are the numbers I am interested in comparing rather than the actual fuel adjustments. I have attached a pic of my settings and the config numbers are the ones from the row of numbers some of which are highlighted in red.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:06 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

talk to evil. I think he might know something.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a Link MAP set-up from Guru w/ his custom gasaholic chipset, Link programmer, and all software/cables. Make me an offer worth slightly more than a bag of ugly kittens and it's yours. I've gone with Russells setup.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 03-05-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I stillhave one but I now use the vitesse MAF. I had great luck with it went 12.30's in the quarter with a custom set of guru chips. One thing of note to correct the off idle stumbler is that the rpm is off by about 500 on the handheld. I found this out afetr lots of testiong and datalogging with the wideband and my E-01 recording info.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by badcoupe
I stillhave one but I now use the vitesse MAF. I had great luck with it went 12.30's in the quarter with a custom set of guru chips. One thing of note to correct the off idle stumbler is that the rpm is off by about 500 on the handheld. I found this out afetr lots of testiong and datalogging with the wideband and my E-01 recording info.

I was never real impressed with the fuelling in the guru chips, I had some pretty significant corrections in the LINK box to offset the fuel map in the Guru Chips. I cant speak to the timing that was in those chips. In fairness though I did get decent results at the time. I still have those chips but the Huntley chips were less rich at part throttle and so tuning was a bit faster than I expect it would have been with the Guru chips. Once again though, I don't know what timing is in the chips.

With respect to the 500RPM error you mention I have heard that before from Tim at SFR I think. I havent really observed it myself so much but that may be because I did some excel analysis of the data logs to determine which cells the map is spending its time in. That is what the green/orange/yellow colour coding is all about on my zone worksheet. I then concentrate my adjustment in those cells and adjacent cells (for interpolation) and that seems to have produced good results pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: Anyone (else) still using a LINK AFM ?