Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

When buying, is high mileage a prob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine is just one aspect to consider.

Suspension is not cheap to totally redo. All bushings etc, even if you go stock.

Interior, they are tough but again, not cheap to get an interior back to mint if you care about such things.

Transmission. Not the clutch, but the gearbox itself.

Lots and lots to consider.

I have owned a 1987 with 65k miles on it. My current 86 with 93k miles on it. And an 86 with 147k miles on it. Little things like squeaks and interior trim. Suspension condition, window operation, door and hatch shutting, etc were all better the lower the miles. Second gear was getting weak on the the real high mile 86. BUT...they were all stock engine wise and all performed equally in that regards.No discernible difference.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Bltzkrg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all really depends on how the car was treated and what has been done to it. Mine had 180k on the clock, and now I've got it all torn down, completely rebuilding it. Anything under 120k should be ok, but then again you do get what you pay for.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
hansman
Instructor

High mileage is not a problem with these prime examples of German engineering
I sold my 86 951 with 180 k on it and she still ran strong.
I think the most important thing is whether the owner cared for the car.
When you find one be sure the previous owner knows certain "must do" maintenence items such as timing belt, water pump, fuel lines etc.
If these items are not taken care of run.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by facboy
wary too
He just means that with all that high mileage he'd be tired. lol
Old 03-04-2008, 01:21 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
The engines have nikasil on the cylinder walls
alusil, no?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's my understanding... Alusil, not Nikasil.

True too about maintenance being perhaps more important than mileage. I know of someone who has had an 850 since new (about 15 years now) and refuses to even get an oil change because it has only done 10,000 km - this car has never been serviced in 15 years!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanics don't really care if you have full service history or not, they rather physically check everything themselves. From carrying out compression tests, leak down tests, visual inspections and so on.

Originally Posted by zoltan944
just as weary as low mileage car without records. It seems many people with disregard history with lower mileage.
A guy could have replaced about everything in the last 20k miles on a 200k mile car. And you could very well buy a car with 150k miles and replace about everything in the next 20k.
Most of this doesn't matter to me anyway. When I buy a car I do a complete TLC preventative maintenance run through on it.
I agree, i have actually seen a 951 cab here with approx. 50K miles on it that was in need of $4K to get it going right, since all the usual things such as factory clutch, mounts, suspension, water pump and seals needed replacement.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
The engines have nikasil on the cylinder walls, so like, a fying pan, the surface is smooth and silky, so as long as you take care of it, there is no limit as to how long it can last...
Uh. No.

And the head needs to be off to get any real determination on the condition of the clyinder walls with your eyes. Looking in the spark plug holes with a flashlight has got to be a joke, lol. Right? Hope so.

Do a leak down and compression test to know if what you're starting with is a solid platform. Suspension/Trans is another good point, people sometimes forget when thinking specifically about the motor. There are bit more parts to a car then just the motor....last time I checked that is.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

For get about the condition of the cylinder walls, ie. scratches.. What about taper? Thats the biggest problem with high usage. These cylinders do wear out.

I just restored a low mileage car, 33k and to do it right can cost $3k+. Thats clutch, suspension bushings, rotors/pads, engine(left the piston/rings/bores alone), interior, fluids/ CV's, ball joints, tires etc.. it all adds up. It cost almost $3k to bring it back to new condition and its still stock.

This time, I have to agree with DDP. There are a lot to these cars.. Tons of little clips, clamps, hoses, etc.. that add up fast..
Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
For get about the condition of the cylinder walls, ie. scratches.. What about taper? Thats the biggest problem with high usage. These cylinders do wear out.

I just restored a low mileage car, 33k and to do it right can cost $3k+. Thats clutch, suspension bushings, rotors/pads, engine(left the piston/rings/bores alone), interior, fluids/ CV's, ball joints, tires etc.. it all adds up. It cost almost $3k to bring it back to new condition and its still stock.

This time, I have to agree with DDP. There are a lot to these cars.. Tons of little clips, clamps, hoses, etc.. that add up fast..
evil your right but notthing when your including LABOR. I know you know better than I. what they do they charge an hour in a prof shop? 90??? for example oil pan gasket 20 bucks max labor +1000.00
Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Thats very true, I based the prices with me (somewhat free) doing the labor. Actually, I let DDP do all the work and I supply the insults(for free), lol..
Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Thats very true, I based the prices with me (somewhat free) doing the labor. Actually, I let DDP do all the work and I supply the insults(for free), lol..
yessssss lol poor lil ddp NOT hehe.

Quick Reply: When buying, is high mileage a prob?