Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Timing belt help... anyone local?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:03 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt help... anyone local?

Im in northern Virginia (Fredericksburg, well Ladysmith which is 15 minutes south) and was wondering if there was anyone in the area that would be willing to change the timing belt for a reasonable price. Ive got a two car garage with plenty of room but im short on experience and tools... Im willing to learn as well so im really looking for a learning experience (without royally screwing up) and to meet people in my area. I've had my car for a few months now and I've already done a few things on my own (fuel lines, vacuum lines, venturi delete etc...) so im learning as i go. The PO changed the belts and water pump along with front seals 5 years ago but he only put 5000 miles on the car so I think its about time... Thanks in advance to any replies/insults/help.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Sydney,
I"m about 1.5 hours from you. I'd be happy to change the belts for you if you want to come up here. However, I don't have a tensioning tool (I let the spring tensioner in my car take care of that).

You didn't indicate what year your car is so I don't know if it has the tensioner.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jerome,
thanks for responding. Germantown is definitely doable for me. I do have one question though, is the tensioner sufficient? or do you kind of hand tension it as well until it "feels" right? ive heard of that and it seems to work well. How many times have you done it to your own? What kind of beer should i bring? and finally, what did you have in mind for payment and when is the best time for you? i can switch to pm whenever, just thought i'd get the usual questions out of the way... thanks again!
Sydneyman

edit: oh and its an 87 so it has the tensioner. it was replaced along with the rollers 4 years and 5000 miles ago.

Quick Reply: Timing belt help... anyone local?