Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

any input about installing a srs (airbag) disable switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008 | 03:42 PM
Phil R
Instructor

Default any input about installing a srs (airbag) disable switch?

I'm not at the point where I want to remove the airbag system as some people here have done but want to install a airbag kill switch for DE events. obviously the airbag is totally useless when you have a helmet on with harness and if they go off the windshield and dash are destroyed.

has anyone done this? I need to figure out which wire supplies power to the airbag controller then I would just install an interrupt switch on the dash.
Old 02-23-2008 | 04:35 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't flipping an interrupt switch cut the power supply to the DME relay as well though? When the airbags are deployed, the power to the DME relay is cut. I'm not sure how a switch would work, but maybe someone else here has the answer to that.

A simple option would be to simply disconnect the airbag harness, stick a jumper wire in holes 3 and 4 on the car side of the harness and tape it up good so the wire doesn't come loose. This will completely disconnect the airbags, keep the DME relay powered up, and keep the airbag warning light off on the dash. It would only take 10 minutes to do before and after your track events, and you wouldn't have to hook up any switches.

When the track event is over, unwrap the tape, remove the jumper wire, and plug the harness back together to activate your airbags. No permanent modifications required.

The airbag harness looks like this. Left side is connected to the car's wiring harness, right side is connected to the airbag controller behind the glovebox.

Cut a short piece of wire and strip off the ends, this is your jumper.

On the car side of the harness, locate holes number 3 and 4, and stick the jumper wire into those holes. Make sure it's in there snug.

Tape it up so the jumper wire doesn't come loose, and zip tie the harnesses up out of the way so they aren't flopping around. You're good to go!
Old 02-23-2008 | 04:55 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

that harness is a total PITA to get to and do something like that for temp stuff. That would also set off the air bag warning light too.

www.944s2.com offers a good write up on the airbag and controller. I recently dumped mine in favor of the 968 CS steering wheel. I cut the warning light wires, left the air bag controller other wiring intact.
Old 02-23-2008 | 05:11 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
that harness is a total PITA to get to and do something like that for temp stuff. That would also set off the air bag warning light too.

www.944s2.com offers a good write up on the airbag and controller. I recently dumped mine in favor of the 968 CS steering wheel. I cut the warning light wires, left the air bag controller other wiring intact.
What, you don't like headrushes from laying upside down under the dash???

With the process I described, the dash light would be deactivated. Similar to "method 2" in the link you posted.
Old 02-23-2008 | 05:19 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No $hit, you can barely read the wire numbers on your head. yep, forgot that method deactivated the lights...guess you could do it that way, jumper the pins 3 and 4, then if you wanted to sell the car, you could disconnect the battery and plug it back together and should be fine.

I went with the first method, sniped the wire(s) and got rid of the air bags.
Old 02-23-2008 | 06:12 PM
eniac
Drifting

This would be more work but the right way to disable the airbag. On the switched circuit that would disconnect the airbags when the switch is flipped, install resistors that are the same Ohms as the airbag. This will disable the airbags while leaving the fuel cutoff and central locking safety systems still functional. This also will not trigger the warning lamp. I soldered in the resistors on mine since I did not have a need to switch them on and off but I see no reason why the circuit could not be switched.

I could take a guess at what ohm resistors I used but I really can't recall for sure, 2.5ohm seems familiar. It would be better to do a search on that matter.
Old 02-24-2008 | 08:21 AM
jerome951
Drifting

shiners,

Are those pics of the steering wheel or passenger side connector? My steering wheel bag is long gone but I need to disable the passenger side as well.

Had a student last year bedding in new brake pads in the paddock. Firm stop and his passenger side bag blows. I warned him that PF97s bite well. ;-) Spider-webbed the windshield so he was done for the weekend.

Quick Reply: any input about installing a srs (airbag) disable switch?