Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuse box surgery

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:03 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuse box surgery

I'm transplanting ABS into a non-ABS body.
There is a main power line on the harness that terminates on the fuse panel. Problem is, how to add the new line to the panel without having the factory fuse bus pins etc. I had a look at stealing a pin from an old fuse panel, but the pins are not really designed to be removed and reused [shocker!].

Anyone BTDT?? All clues gratefully received
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:38 PM
Phil R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh boy that sounds like a fun project.
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:48 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Not that bad, really. Had a nasty wall impact that nearly destroyed the original body. Had a rear wheel bearing collapse, and the rest was just a passenger ride.

Moving the drive line & suspension [& roll cage, fuel lines, brake lines, ABS system, and countless other little things] looked like a better proposition than trying to pull the original body back into spec, plus all the related body work. I seriously neglected the first law of race cars - every component of a race car involves fabrication.

The hard work is done. All that's left is the mountain of detail work like this fuse box issue.
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:59 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Can't you take the whole fuse box out of your 89'?

*Sorry, my question wasn't really helpful to you. Just trying to understand.*
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:06 PM
wolfenstein
Instructor

i would just add a dedicated power line, fused of course, and relay it to activate key on position
Old 02-15-2008 | 01:05 AM
Phil R
Instructor

are you talking the main power line for the pump or a relay that kicks on the pump? the main pump likely needs to be a heavy line like a stereo amp line. I would potentially just use small distribution box designed for powering a stereo amp. that way you can mount a clean 50amp fuse or whatever is spec.
Old 02-15-2008 | 10:00 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil R
are you talking the main power line for the pump or a relay that kicks on the pump? the main pump likely needs to be a heavy line like a stereo amp line. I would potentially just use small distribution box designed for powering a stereo amp. that way you can mount a clean 50amp fuse or whatever is spec.
Its the relay line, but its a heavy 12 gauge line. The main power feed for the pump branches off on the passenger side and runs to the raw positive terminals right at the battery. The fuse box end of the harness carries the relay socket bundle, the front driver's side sensor line, and the fuse box power line. That's the baby that I need to terminate in the fuse box. Its the red line tagged D in this pic.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Fuse box surgery