Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Assembly Advice: Ground control camber plates and paragon strut conversions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assembly Advice: Ground control camber plates and paragon strut conversions

Hello,

Trying to assemble my front struts. Parts in use are the old style ground control camber plates and the Paragon products coilover front strut conversion kit.

The camber plates were purchased used and the seller did not provide the GC spring hats. Jason at Paragon advised that hats in the Paragon kit would work with the GC camberplates but he didn't have the benefit of seeing these pictures.

Yet...as I look at things, I can't quite figure out how this goes together. I think I either didn't get all the parts with the GC plates that I need or that I'm thick as a brick.

Here's what I have...those of you familiar with the kits, maybe you can advise what parts are missing or what I'm missing.

Here are the two major GC camber plate parts I have.

Here is the paragon spring hat.

Now...as I see it...the spring hat will ride here - on the lip - on the camber plate part. This certainly doesn't seem correct. In the out of focus area, you can see some wear - maybe this is where the GC spring hat rides?

Now...if I flip the plate over, the hat looks like it would fit nicely to the plate this way. The taper on the hat fits the taper on the plate. However, this seems to require me to install the plate upside down. ???

Anyways...something seems off. Most appreciated if anyone has some pictures of how this all goes together or the parts that I'm missing.

TIA!

Jeff
Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Default Possible answer?

Is this piece the key?

This small shim for the top of the strut extends down and creates a (small) flat base that could provide support for the hat. Small being the operative word here.

Here's the part on the hat.

And here's a trial assembly. Seems to all clear - I guess I'm a bit nervous about the size of the load face.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

That will work but it defeats the benefit of having those plate. With it set-up that way, all of the load rests on that busshing and sperical bearing. I personally would not run it that way because that bushing is a bit soft and will probably mushroom. I really can't say about the latter.

The GC hat has a concave face (and needle bearings) that rides on the convex part of the plate to support the load. Give GC a call and they'll sell you hats.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Hmm. Yes, I figured that the GC plates had some better system - this just doesn't seem correct. Any idea what a set of GC hats might cost?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had problems similar to that. The Lindsey camber plates include the coilover spring hat that has the thrust bearing. The Lindsey plates support the weight of the car better and you can mount them from below the strut mount. I used the paragon coilover kit and the lindsey camber plates. They fit together and work with awesomeness
Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Chris - are you saying you used the Lindsey upper perch/spring hats and did not use the paragon provided hat?

Thx
Old 02-10-2008, 09:24 PM
aben8057
Drifting

FYI..the upper perches sold by Paragon are made by RE and state

Racer's Edge Upper spring hats for coilover struts
This is an upper coilover spring hat for struts. It is specifically designed with an extended top for the 944 cars that have a recessed upped mounting surface. These hats have a 14mm bore and 22mm counter bore that are a perfect fit for any OEM type strut.

http://www.racersedge-inc.com/racers...open&id=7.3.13
Old 02-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aben8057
FYI..the upper perches sold by Paragon are made by RE and state

Racer's Edge Upper spring hats for coilover struts
This is an upper coilover spring hat for struts. It is specifically designed with an extended top for the 944 cars that have a recessed upped mounting surface. These hats have a 14mm bore and 22mm counter bore that are a perfect fit for any OEM type strut.

http://www.racersedge-inc.com/racers...open&id=7.3.13
Yes, but designed to run with a non-GC camber plate.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Well...I think we've pretty much put this to bed. I'll call GC in the AM and see what a set of 2.5" ID hats and bearings cost.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Musche
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought both of these units from Paragon and IIRC did not use the red anodized hats. I think the hats I'm using rest on the bottom of the plate and came with the plates but I'm not sure. I would call Jason at Paragon and he will take care of what you need.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Default Conclusion to the story

Ordered a set of the GC upper perches directly from GC - $44 / per side. Here they are compared to the RE hats. You can clearly see the difference on the load support design. The GC units have a load face that rides on the plate and as others have mentioned, theres a torrington bearing underneath to facilitate the strut and spring rotation. You can see the bearing grease in the picture.

Here's the "assembly" using the RE hats and the GC plate - no good.

Heres the assembly using all GC parts - much better.

Thanks to all who helped get this sorted out! Anyone need a set of 2.5" RE pretty red upper spring perches?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You paid $44 per side for yours. I just ordered a set from them this week and they only charged me $20 per side. Now I'm wondering if the right part is going to show up.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

hmm. That or I'm gonna looking for some cash back. Let me know what you get.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, will do.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, that is the type I have. I used antiseize instead of bearing grease though.

Quick Reply: Assembly Advice: Ground control camber plates and paragon strut conversions