Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone use a Turbo XS dual stage boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 AM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone use a Turbo XS dual stage boost controller?

Anyone use this. Seems like it could eliminate boost creep from my MBC and be good for the track when in need of some extra power (flip switch)

here's the link and descrip:

http://www.turboxs.com/shop_prod.php?what_category=1

High Performance Dual Stage Boost Controller (BC-HPDS) US$269.00
The TurboXS High Performance Dual Stage Boost controller provides the ultimate in dual stage boost control. Two preset boost levels allow you to switch from "street" to "race" boost with the flip of a switch from inside the cabin - even while under full boost. The first stage includes an adjustable ball/spring boost controller that help you to get to full boost quicker.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice, sounds similar to the SFR controller. However for that price, I'd just double it and get a electronic boost controller.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:01 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a single port wastegate, I don't think you can beat the Joe P Inline MBC. You get a minimal boost spike and then rock solid steady boost. And it's ridiculously easy to set!

I fooled around with a Greddy Profec B Spec 2 EBC for a while but now matter how I played with the settings, it just refused to behave. It sure looked pretty though There's a reason that so many extensively modified 951s don't use EBCs and I don't think it's cost.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
troppo
Burning Brakes

i guess the whole point is while on track it just take a button or switch to get true turbo boost!
also I have a dual port wastegate
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine had the same dual stage on his WRX for maybe two years. The solenoids eventually crapped out causing a ton of boost related problems. He said it was nice to have, but for sake of simplicity and reliability, he has done back with a normal boost controller.

Honestly i dont think its much harder to turn a **** than flip a switch.. .
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

It's would just be a matter of accuracy, with a **** turn you don't know exactly how much boost you are getting in the heat of battle. With a switch I know I am going from 14 psi to 17 psi, fo example...

However, thanks for sharing your friends experience because it makes me think twice about dropping 250- on a the turbo XS product!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Looks nice, sounds similar to the SFR controller. However for that price, I'd just double it and get a electronic boost controller.

Well actually the Boost Cube which is our two stage boost controller never really made it to the market. It worked great but at the time it was expensive to make and getting the patent was going to be expensive.So we kind of just put it on the bacvk burner. However, we are bringing it back from the deadBetter then ever. Super trick. Two boost levels, a simple switch to change between high and low, compact unit, fully CNC machined, Black anodized(we might offer other colors),completely indestructable,super quick response,easy to hook up(there is an "in" and "out" port) and we are expecting to offer it at a retail price of $129-$149. Look for it in about a month.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

It's would just be a matter of accuracy, with a **** turn you don't know exactly how much boost you are getting in the heat of battle. With a switch I know I am going from 14 psi to 17 psi, fo example...
Yet another option would be a black **** boost controller. You could mount it under your radio and scribe your two settings on there with a dab of touch up paint.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Tim,

I see a boost cube on your website but don't see any kind of a switch on it. I presume the new model will have some form of a switch or on/off ****?

thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by troppo
Tim,

I see a boost cube on your website but don't see any kind of a switch on it. I presume the new model will have some form of a switch or on/off ****?

thanks

There is a switch on the old unit.It is in the center.The new boost cube looks a millions times better and the ***** are completely different.We made some massive revisions in the way it looks compared to the old unit.It still works the same though.That didnt change.I will post some of the CAD drawings in a couple of days.

Tim
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

count me in...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

I'm about to buy a lindsey mbc,does this one keep solid boost or does it also creep up??
Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adrian, would you want your lindsey mbc mounted in the cabin? If so PM me as I have a unused one with a dash trim piece that has been altered to fit it in the cigarette lighter hole.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:05 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Tim, any pic of your new unit ?

TIA
Old 02-08-2008, 02:51 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by marcoturbo
Tim, any pic of your new unit ?

TIA

Not yet.The production units are being CNC'd right now and then they have to go to the anodizer and then back to be finished being machined.So it will be a few weeks before we have some pics of the actual unit.Unfortunately,it takes some time when you are doing huge production runs of these units which is what we are doing to offer extremely low pricing.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a Turbo XS dual stage boost controller?