Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any German Rennlisters? Question regarding TüV testing of German registered cars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM
mikeroz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any German Rennlisters? Question regarding TüV testing of German registered cars.

Hi my German rennlisters. I'm exploring the possibility of a job in Munich. I've heard that the Tüv test is very strict on modified / tuned cars and that modified parts have to be Tüv approved.
Can anyone explain to me how it all works and if anything is strictly Verboten
If it's not that simple to explain in email I'm happy you PM or email me your telephone number so we can chat.
Thanks
ike
Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

tüv is actually very good people, they will approve pretty much anything sane, as long as you pay them a few euros
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not German but our local ITV inspection is the Spanish equivalent to the TÜV and is pretty much the same.

What you're asking about is homologation. Like Anders says, most things can be approved through an application process and some fees. Other things like "test pipes" are best reversed before inspection or you'll be fined.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:39 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike

It depends on what modifications you want to apply to your car.

What is important to know is that if you do not register your modifications via TÜv and are involved in an accident, you do not have insurance coverage and are in serious problems...

Let us know your planned mods...

Cheers
Beni
Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, a couple of the locals I met at the Ring had their car confiscated by the police for an unauthorised 'compressor'. The car was fully legal and the compressor was for built in air jacks.

Nonetheless, caused my host much consternation as they had to go and pay to get the car back after demonstrating it was fully approved.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:53 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the details but my family/friends in Germany have been screwed over numerous times by tüv. One of my friends has had their car confiscated for something ridiculously trivial.

tüv reminds me of doing anything motor vehicle-related in CA...an enormous clusterf%&k costing time, money, patience, and sanity. Often times seems like there's red tape just for the sake of red tape.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

TUV really depends on the test and what you have. It is much more stricter than any US testing, when I had my TUV tested, they wanted to know the last time i changed my timing belt and I wouldnt pass unless I had a document or stamp from my mechanic verifying its condition.

Now if you want to import your car from the US it gets alot easier. Basically you are allowed to have your car for one year, then it needs to leave the EU. However there is a giant loophole for this, and its quite easy considering you live in munich. You just drive to switzerland, have your papers stamped at the border, and drive home. This also means you can drive around on seasonal plates or your american plates.

In terms of modifications, basically anything you do to the engine, drivetrain(includes wheels, tires, and suspension), and body has to have a TUV ABG, this is basically a paper from the manufacture that says its tuv approved. Most big aftermarket companies have these papers and they're easy to acquire, as long as you dont go to fritz and install his special engine modz.

Generally they're nice people and more than willing to help, i told the head guy at the local tuv that I bought an old E30 and wanted to know what all it needed to pass. He told me to bring it by and gave me a free inspection telling me what all it needs done so that it would pass no problem

Quick Reply: Any German Rennlisters? Question regarding TüV testing of German registered cars.