JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Charlie944 i believe you are correct too...they both seem to be Pressure plates
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks Charlie, at least someone is taking me seriously.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
Arash, the he-she in your avatar is it you?

I asked the same thing in another thread. I think he lied to me!
Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Charlie, at least someone is taking me seriously.
We're all taking you seriously...just not ourselves. Seriously!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

333, it looks very likely that the PP you posted a picture of has the same markings (part #'s) as a OEM Sachs Pressure Plate. The diaphragm fingers have the same shape as the Sachs I posted a picture of. If you do not know the history of that pressure plate it could have been modified (like a Blaszak PP) and still look OE on the outside.
Having looked through the SACHS Racing and Sport catalog they do not make anything specific for the 944 regarding a performance pressure plate. At least without something custom ordered from them.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Interestingly that's exactly where I got it, from Markus B, and the only reason I'm considered changing to a KEPII was based on reputation and that I had seen a little slippage with that pp and the Kevlar disc. So I went for a recommendation of the Kii and the clutchnet 6 puk, both of which have been said to be problematic. The KEPii that I have is brand new, but bought 4 years ago so we seem to think I'll be ok on this and I've heard plenty of others say that they've had success with the clutchnet 6 puk. I guess I could even go half and half and try the 6 puk with the Blazsak pp? Erg, who knows?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interestingly that's exactly where I got it, from Markus B, and the only reason I'm considered changing to a KEPII was based on reputation and that I had seen a little slippage with that pp and the Kevlar disc. So I went for a recommendation of the Kii and the clutchnet 6 puk, both of which have been said to be problematic. The KEPii that I have is brand new, but bought 4 years ago so we seem to think I'll be ok on this and I've heard plenty of others say that they've had success with the clutchnet 6 puk. I guess I could even go half and half and try the 6 puk with the Blazsak pp? Erg, who knows?
Blasazk's PP from what he has said is 30% stiffer than stock. Marcus told me his PP with the Kevlar Disc was good for 500 ft-lb. My experience with the Kevlar disc was some slippage toward the end of a track day and in some cases after only a few laps. Then after everything cooled down it was back to normal. Adjusted the free play in case the slave was being heated up and still had the occassional slippage. When I got it out the disc looked fine but it was in my opinion glazed. I just think the Kevlar didn't stand up well or I didn't get it bedded in properly originally. The South Bend Feramic disc was working great and looks great after 10,000 miles. Send the kevlar disc to South bend and then you have a clutch that with the Blaszack PP would have more holding ability than with the Kevlar as the Feramic has a much higher friction coefficient according to South Bend who sells both.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:18 PM
George D
Drifting

A friend and lister in Tucson just had his KEP II go at a track event. Not very many miles on a K26 2.5. Not lookin good for the KEP stuff right now.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dand86951
Blasazk's PP from what he has said is 30% stiffer than stock. Marcus told me his PP with the Kevlar Disc was good for 500 ft-lb. My experience with the Kevlar disc was some slippage toward the end of a track day and in some cases after only a few laps. Then after everything cooled down it was back to normal. Adjusted the free play in case the slave was being heated up and still had the occassional slippage. When I got it out the disc looked fine but it was in my opinion glazed. I just think the Kevlar didn't stand up well or I didn't get it bedded in properly originally. The South Bend Feramic disc was working great and looks great after 10,000 miles. Send the kevlar disc to South bend and then you have a clutch that with the Blaszack PP would have more holding ability than with the Kevlar as the Feramic has a much higher friction coefficient according to South Bend who sells both.
Dan, I don't think I have time to do this, but I'll have to check into it. Alternatively, and I guess you should know, what about putting the 6 puk in with the Blazsak pp? I assume it will fit. Or why can't South bend provide that same disc as you have to me? I am in Australia and building the motor right now so I really don't want to be held up if I can avoid it. We are running to a deadline.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
A friend and lister in Tucson just had his KEP II go at a track event. Not very many miles on a K26 2.5. Not lookin good for the KEP stuff right now.
George it seems as if this is a batch related syndrome as if it weren't well we would have been hearing of these failures for years no? I feel pretty confidant that as mine is from at least 4 years ago that I should be ok, but it's all a bit unnerving just the same.
As you know there seems to be obstacles at every turn.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:09 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Dan, I don't think I have time to do this, but I'll have to check into it. Alternatively, and I guess you should know, what about putting the 6 puk in with the Blazsak pp? I assume it will fit. Or why can't South bend provide that same disc as you have to me? I am in Australia and building the motor right now so I really don't want to be held up if I can avoid it. We are running to a deadline.
South Bend can send you a disc with the feramic, however, when I went that route with them the disc was not the correct hub for the 951. It was a Sachs hub but the splines were wrong and it wouldn't fit. So I sent my Kevlar disc back to them along with the one they sent and they put the feramic/organic linings on my disc. Worked great then. Just gotta know they will send the correct hub.

Give them a call or email, and see what they can do.
Andrew Pyfer [dxdclutches@yahoo.com]
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

run what you brung, its fine.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

333, using the 6-puck ceramic/metallic with the Blaszak PP should solve the slipping problems. The Kevlar, while durable, if glazed has a lower coefficient of friction than stock organic linings. I used the Blaszak setup as well Stg 3 disc and PP and it would slip after just a couple laps on the track and this was at 7.5-10psi. The 6-puck will not be very nice on the street though for stop and go driving.

The South Bend full-face Feramic disc has a higher friction level than the ceramic/metallic and is kinder to engage. I sent them my 951 Cup disc w/ organic linings and they rivited the Feramic linings on for less than $140. I exchanged countless emails with Andy Pyfer and had several phone conversations as well. He was always very helpful and did his best to meet my needs.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charlie944
333, using the 6-puck ceramic/metallic with the Blaszak PP should solve the slipping problems. The Kevlar, while durable, if glazed has a lower coefficient of friction than stock organic linings. I used the Blaszak setup as well Stg 3 disc and PP and it would slip after just a couple laps on the track and this was at 7.5-10psi. The 6-puck will not be very nice on the street though for stop and go driving.

The South Bend full-face Feramic disc has a higher friction level than the ceramic/metallic and is kinder to engage. I sent them my 951 Cup disc w/ organic linings and they rivited the Feramic linings on for less than $140. I exchanged countless emails with Andy Pyfer and had several phone conversations as well. He was always very helpful and did his best to meet my needs.
So how long have you run that setup and does it slip at all? I will be running between 18-24psi I believe.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So how long have you run that setup and does it slip at all? I will be running between 18-24psi I believe.
ummm. I hope to hell you are running race gas and SUPER FANTASTIC engine management!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Pressure Plate issues???