Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone know the OEM Applications of GT35?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:25 AM
mikeroz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know the OEM Applications of GT35?

In Mikes3.0cabturbo's recent posting re turbos someone said that GT35s were commonly used as OEM turbos (or was it GT35Rs?). Anyway my question is, does anyone know which OEM applications either was fitted to?
Grateful for your answers.
Mike
Old 01-27-2008, 05:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Mike, what turbo are you using on your JM 3.2L motor? I thought it would be an SPS custom job?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:51 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

the ford Falcon XR6 turbo uses an internal gate GT35/40. note sure about a car that uses a straight GT35R
Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

That's funny. Just when you expect something exotic, you come up with the Aussie Falcon. Not that they're slow. Low 13's straight of the showroom floor aren't they?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 AM
mikeroz
Advanced

Patrick,
From the start of my project Jon decided it would be a god idea to use a GT35 instead of the hybrid used on Paul's car. He said if anything ever happened at a later date it woud be an off the shelf item. I was quite excited at the sound of it all and was looking forward to the GT35. In November he advised me that Simon Peckham had been having issues with the GT35 smoking a little. He'd been trying oil line reducers to lower the input oil pressure to the turbo but nothing had seemed to be working. I have to admit I was a little disappointed. It was yet another delay to getting it completed, however we discussed the alternatives. In the end i suggested the option of sourcing parts from Tim Richards at SFR who we both trust as far as knowledge and quality. I discussed the engine with Tim, what I've had done so far - cam, head, bore, stroke, exhaust - and what I wanted frm the engine. He suggested a full Garrett T04 66mm (after I'd decided to order his inlet, stage 2 headers / x-over, 3" turbo downpipe etc. (I'm no Turbo expert, i assume the 66mm is the turbine inlet/outlet diameter not the compressor?)
By the way, thanks for your PM the other week ref the headers. I realise they possibly might not fit, it's a risk I was willing to take. Because of this Tim left the joints as slip joints so that we can adjust any pipes as necessary. Jon says he has a contact who is competent to adjust or make up new pipes to fit if necessary. I'll keep you RHD boys informed of progress and possibly get a jig made up for the replacement pipe(s) so that if any of you want to go the same route you can.
The reason I was asking about the GT35 is that I have since been speaing to a guy called Andy Frost who owns a 2000 hp 9.3l Twin turbo road legal Vauxhall Victor. He suggested a number of different solutions to the moking of the GT35. I haven't ruled out a turbo change at a later date to the GT35 if it doesn't involve too much. Andy seems a really knowledgeable guy. He has been developing his Victor over a good number of years and has tried a number of turbos in it with varying effects.
I ordered an Electromotive tech3 off Tim at SFR last week along with 96Ib injectors (Tims suggested choice). Andy's an electromotive UK disributor and runs it on hs Victor.He' offered to help me set it up properly when we finally get there.
Cheers for now.
Mike
Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeroz
Patrick,
From the start of my project Jon decided it would be a god idea to use a GT35 instead of the hybrid used on Paul's car. He said if anything ever happened at a later date it woud be an off the shelf item. I was quite excited at the sound of it all and was looking forward to the GT35. In November he advised me that Simon Peckham had been having issues with the GT35 smoking a little. He'd been trying oil line reducers to lower the input oil pressure to the turbo but nothing had seemed to be working. I have to admit I was a little disappointed. It was yet another delay to getting it completed, however we discussed the alternatives. In the end i suggested the option of sourcing parts from Tim Richards at SFR who we both trust as far as knowledge and quality. I discussed the engine with Tim, what I've had done so far - cam, head, bore, stroke, exhaust - and what I wanted frm the engine. He suggested a full Garrett T04 66mm (after I'd decided to order his inlet, stage 2 headers / x-over, 3" turbo downpipe etc. (I'm no Turbo expert, i assume the 66mm is the turbine inlet/outlet diameter not the compressor?)
By the way, thanks for your PM the other week ref the headers. I realise they possibly might not fit, it's a risk I was willing to take. Because of this Tim left the joints as slip joints so that we can adjust any pipes as necessary. Jon says he has a contact who is competent to adjust or make up new pipes to fit if necessary. I'll keep you RHD boys informed of progress and possibly get a jig made up for the replacement pipe(s) so that if any of you want to go the same route you can.
The reason I was asking about the GT35 is that I have since been speaing to a guy called Andy Frost who owns a 2000 hp 9.3l Twin turbo road legal Vauxhall Victor. He suggested a number of different solutions to the moking of the GT35. I haven't ruled out a turbo change at a later date to the GT35 if it doesn't involve too much. Andy seems a really knowledgeable guy. He has been developing his Victor over a good number of years and has tried a number of turbos in it with varying effects.
I ordered an Electromotive tech3 off Tim at SFR last week along with 96Ib injectors (Tims suggested choice). Andy's an electromotive UK disributor and runs it on hs Victor.He' offered to help me set it up properly when we finally get there.
Cheers for now.
Mike

T66 refers to compressor inducer diameter.
It is huge - bigger than GT35.
You need to remove all restriction on both sides of head to make efficient use of this compressor.
I am aware of only one person who uses larger than this on 2.5 - and that would be me.
That will be very large even on 3 liters less radical engine.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM
mikeroz
Advanced

Smile

Special Tool,
Here's the engine spec. I respect your judgement what do you think? Will I experience lots of lag?

1. 3.2 108mm bore motor with Arrow rods. Balanced crank but so I believe no blading or weight reduction - whatever you call it!

2. LR Level IV 951 Cylinder Head (2.7L head)with Lindsey Racing 951 Valve Springs w/Moly Retainers

3. LR-Solid Cam Conversion

4. LR-274/272 Web-Cam Solid Cam Grind

5. Lindsey Racing Adjustable Cam Gear 944 / 951 8v

6. Fabspeed full 4" stainless exhaust

7. Tial T46 wastegate

8. SFR Intercoler Kit c/w new hard pipes.

9. SFR Inlet (not custom like yours though)

10. SFR stage 2 headers & xover pipe.

11. Garrett Full roller ball water cooled T04 (66mm) & SFR 3" downpipe

12. Electromotive Tec3

13. 96lb injectors.
cheers
Mike
Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must use 3 inches in/out on IC and 3 inch IC/TB pipe and larger TB.
You can get away with 2.5 inch TURBO/IC pipe.

The lag will now mostly depend on the turbocharger exhaust configuration.
If it was me, I would use .68/P, (or Q if you want crazy top end power).
I wouldn't use larger than .68T4 on any 951 unless you will rev over 8,000, because the wastegate will never open.
But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
You must use 3 inches in/out on IC and 3 inch IC/TB pipe and larger TB.
You can get away with 2.5 inch TURBO/IC pipe.

The lag will now mostly depend on the turbocharger exhaust configuration.
Forget the 2.5" pipe on this setup. 3" all the way! Also, performance depends on the exhaust port/valve diameter.. if it stays the same as the 2.7ltr head in stock form, its not really up to the task of moving air..

ps - St, you don't know what your talking about.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
mikeroz
Advanced

Let's get back to the orginal question please. Does anyone know which OEM applications either the GT35 or GT35R were fitted to?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 PM
968turbos2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something tells me you might want to be looking in the turbo diesel section for oem apps Wasn't this used for mostly trucks hence the wide application.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Mike, JET951 is right. The Aussie Ford Falcon turbo 6 used them. Are you trying to find out what they did re the oil restricters? The GT35 is a good product. There must be something not right about the installation.
My feeling is that you will have to customize the SFR headers extensively to make them fit and you should go up in i/c pipe size if possible too.
Nice motor though. Hope you and Paul get back on the road asap.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's important to not mix up a truck GT35 and a dual ball bearing GT35R!!
The GT35R would be an excellent choice for your engine.

IHMO you should never but anything less than at GTBB series (such as the GT35R) turbo on that engine.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:27 PM
968turbos2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

333 is right, I just finished fixing my SFR crossover to make up for a 2 inch gap. I only had to clock the hotside and do some tig welding so I feel fortunate.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeroz
Special Tool,
Here's the engine spec. I respect your judgement what do you think? Will I experience lots of lag?

1. 3.2 108mm bore motor with Arrow rods. Balanced crank but so I believe no blading or weight reduction - whatever you call it!

2. LR Level IV 951 Cylinder Head (2.7L head)with Lindsey Racing 951 Valve Springs w/Moly Retainers

3. LR-Solid Cam Conversion

4. LR-274/272 Web-Cam Solid Cam Grind

5. Lindsey Racing Adjustable Cam Gear 944 / 951 8v

6. Fabspeed full 4" stainless exhaust

7. Tial T46 wastegate

8. SFR Intercoler Kit c/w new hard pipes.

9. SFR Inlet (not custom like yours though)

10. SFR stage 2 headers & xover pipe.

11. Garrett Full roller ball water cooled T04 (66mm) & SFR 3" downpipe

12. Electromotive Tec3

13. 96lb injectors.
cheers
Mike

The size of the turbo needed is very much dependant on the BHP levels desired. a gt35 R is good for 600 + whp on a 3 L ,6 cylinder/ 4 v engine, More than 50% of turbo lag is in the mapping i would use a back housing on a 3.1 L no smaller than a .8 for a gt35 R, on the 6 cylinders we go over 1.0 and there is very little if any , a 6 has a power pulse every 120 deg compared to the 4 cylinder so i would not go as big on the 4 but nothing smaller than a .8.

Question regarding your camshaft , was this designed for a 2.5 or a 3 L engine ? if for a 2.5 , you can go with a bigger camshaft if they do not have one of a 3 L....

Quick Reply: Anyone know the OEM Applications of GT35?