Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gas pedal really easy to push

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Gas pedal really easy to push

Anyone know how to help or fix a gas pedal that you can push down with your finger. I don't know if a spring is missing or something else is wrong. I sometimes have to remove the floor mat because it will slide forward and push the pedal down.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the return spring at the throttle body and at the gas pedal. One of them may have broken.
You might be able to get a spring from the hardware store to help firm up the pedal a little.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:58 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
Anyone know how to help or fix a gas pedal that you can push down with your finger. I don't know if a spring is missing or something else is wrong. I sometimes have to remove the floor mat because it will slide forward and push the pedal down.
I suspect the trottle body spring is bad, broken, or installed incorrectly. This is the helical torsion spring between the throttle body and the throttle cam, not the helical extension return spring on the outside(although check that one too).

I consider the extension spring as a added safety measure but even without it, my throttle still returned to idle fine and doesn't ever stick. It disconnected once and I didn't even notice until I happen to look under the hood.

You should have both springs working and either one alone should return the throttle to idle.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal really easy to push