Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Scratch on cylinder head mating surface, big deal or no..

Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Scratch on cylinder head mating surface, big deal or no..

Just wondering, i have a spare cylinder head that i will be sending off to Lindsey Racing for a rebuild and some other things. I noticed this on the #4 cylinder combustion chamber. Its a scratch, about 2 inches long and deep enough to catch a finger nail on. Will this cause any issues? The head is going to be decked and o-ringed anyway.. so im assuming no. But as usual i am the paranoid type .

What do you guys think?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Youre ok

Lindsey knows what theyre doing when it comes to headwork
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I would think Lindsey will do a better job than the last guy who appears to have used a feed rate too coarse and appears to have not clocked the mill head witch may make the surface concave .
Old 01-24-2008, 02:04 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I think your good , it doesn't go all the way through the ring + I assume its getting decked right?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Loquat15
Racer

only matters where the fire ring is in this case, you could scratch in a smiley face in the middle of each head where the gasket doesnt touch and you'd have one happy combustion chamber :-)
Old 01-24-2008, 03:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 except for hot spots but you know w/e
Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Hey, it is getting decked so i figure it will be machined out. Im just paranoid .

It was machined once before and the witness marks are still visible. I decided to go o-ring and widefire gasket instead over the Cometic MLS. I just had fears about having to retorque the MLS and the fact theres no way to machine the block for flatness. I do plan to keep the cylinder head on my car right now, to eventually go with a MLS if i ever decide to rebuild another motor for the car.

Ill start a nice long picture full build thread once i get closer to doing the headgasket. I plan to start around March during my spring break. Right now im just amassing parts.. (the expensive part).
Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like you don't even yet know Jon. We both come from the NA builds... when all is said and done, not too bad. But I think I have at least as much money into working on the 951 as the entire NA build cost including the car.

And it's still in parts all over the place.

I think you are smarter than me... you decided not to try to own both at the same time.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
2bridges
Drifting

no worries - you are fine
Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by schwank
Like you don't even yet know Jon. We both come from the NA builds... when all is said and done, not too bad. But I think I have at least as much money into working on the 951 as the entire NA build cost including the car.

And it's still in parts all over the place.

I think you are smarter than me... you decided not to try to own both at the same time.
Eric, ive been daily driving the 951 now for a little under a month and less than 1k miles. In the next month or so i will be putting over $1k into it with this headgasket job. I could do it for far cheaper, but i really just want to do it once and do it right! I think i put about $3k into the n/a over the 4 years and 60k+ miles i put on it. If it keeps going like this... it could be bad.. .

Anyhow the headwork is really whats killer, but again ultimate reliability is my goal with this car and i figure while i have it off..i should splurge a little. My long term goal is a reliable 300-325whp at mild boost, probably with the Vitesse Stage 3 setup. But for now, its all building everything up to support it. The 300whp should be enough to make me not want to bother with a 3.0L..or atleast be reliable enough for me to saving up enough to build the 3.0L . Its usually said it is crazy to make a compromise track / daily driver. But i think i got pretty darn close with my n/a..so ill be following the same route with the 951.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only issue you may have is if the head was machined before how much material was removed? How much material needs to be removed now? You don't want to machine too much off the head.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Jon i know what you mean. Look what M758 said if you have to shave allot down then 1. either the head is no good or 2. need to go to a cometic and ask them for the thick one .4 something. I dunnno if widefire has thick head gaskets

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch on cylinder head mating surface, big deal or no..