Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone running Electromotive Tech 3R successfully?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
mikeroz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running Electromotive Tech 3R successfully?

Is anyone running Electromotive Tech 3R successfully on a 3.0litre 8v 951 Turbo?
If so are you willing to share your experiences?

email me on michaerozzell@onlinehome.de

Thanks in anticipation
Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Its not a 3R, but it is TEC3 and I think it works great. Let me know what you need to know and I will help if I can.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Chris White at 944 Enhancement. He's a Tec genius.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
mikeroz
Advanced

Guns951, i hear what you say but I was after an unbiased opinion from a customer not a supplier.
Dan, thanks i'll email you.

Does anyone else know of someone who is running the tech 3? I want to gather as much info before I make the decision of do I go the full vitesse route (which I know is very good and John Vitesse by all accounts offers an excellent aftersales service) or the tech 3 route.
Cheers
Mike
Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I can't tell you how it runs thus far as my motor etc isn't complete but I can tell you how I made my decision if that will help.

Vitesse
The Vitesse setup is out of the box 99.5% on the money everytime from all of his happy customers reports. I know many of his customers and one in particular is a very close friend of mine who is a huge fan of his work. Aftersales service is among the very best in the industry, he's a great guy who's always wanting to help with his vast expertise.

John sells nothing but the best stuff - his software is very hard to beat - his turbos are nearly impossible to beat with his setups. They're so good its what both myself and Rolex are using for our projects that are nothing but the best.

So for John's plug and play setup - this is best if you're looking for reliability and out of the box performance and don't want to pay $5k for a Tec system, install & tune. If you're not a hardcore racer or have a monster engine build its not worth going full standalone.

TEC3
With the Tec system, its best to go this route IF you are doing some very custom things with the motor and looking for every last ounce of power and want FULL control over everything the motor does & are using different gauges and/or an LCD display for a guage console.

I decided to go with the Tec due to the replacement of the wiring harness as my car wasn't in its peak condition and the wires were old & brittle. I'm building a brand new car and don't want any issues from 1987 to come back and haunt me.

When I say monster motor I'm referring to setups like a 3.1 ltr solid lifter 16 valve high compression setup with two cam belts individually timed and adjustable based upon programming and RPM and a 2k RPM idle.

If you want a bunch of rear wheel hp and aren't spending $15-25k on the motor use John's stuff. If you want to go the Tec3 route call Chris White, he's by far the best in tuning - and with being the best the tune and install times are short which means not super expensive. The system costs a pretty penny, but a bad tuner can double that cost with a botched install.

There have been field reports of Tec motors having trouble at the track, wildly spewing code and overall dying. These cars troubles are usually linked back to a bad install by someone who wasn't 110% sure of how to set it up/install it. Its not a knock on anyone as these systems aren't like legos.

So reliability wise, Tec3 gives you the chance to redo your wiring harness and get rid of any issue you might have down the road, but at higher expense and more time getting setup. Vitesse's setup will allow you to plug and play and usually get to the enjoyment that afternoon and as long as you have a good harness in place you don't have anything to worry about.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:48 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

things to consider when selecting an ecu is who around you understands it and has had success with it are the features your paying for going to be used do they really turn you you on .. I will set up programmable efi cheaper and easier than tuning the motroinic( in Australia) but if i lived in the USA were motronic editors are common and programmable EFI is expensive I wouldn't bother .
And get on Clarks Garage his web page has heaps of stuff on setting up a tec 3 on a 951 and it's also an awesome site full of enthusiasts just like here
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
eniac
Drifting

I was going to post something when I read the OP but I see guns said everything I could have said so I'll just say QFE.

Originally Posted by Guns951
Well I can't tell you how it runs thus far as my motor etc isn't complete but I can tell you how I made my decision if that will help.

Vitesse
The Vitesse setup is out of the box 99.5% on the money everytime from all of his happy customers reports. I know many of his customers and one in particular is a very close friend of mine who is a huge fan of his work. Aftersales service is among the very best in the industry, he's a great guy who's always wanting to help with his vast expertise.

John sells nothing but the best stuff - his software is very hard to beat - his turbos are nearly impossible to beat with his setups. They're so good its what both myself and Rolex are using for our projects that are nothing but the best.

So for John's plug and play setup - this is best if you're looking for reliability and out of the box performance and don't want to pay $5k for a Tec system, install & tune. If you're not a hardcore racer or have a monster engine build its not worth going full standalone.

TEC3
With the Tec system, its best to go this route IF you are doing some very custom things with the motor and looking for every last ounce of power and want FULL control over everything the motor does & are using different gauges and/or an LCD display for a guage console.

I decided to go with the Tec due to the replacement of the wiring harness as my car wasn't in its peak condition and the wires were old & brittle. I'm building a brand new car and don't want any issues from 1987 to come back and haunt me.

When I say monster motor I'm referring to setups like a 3.1 ltr solid lifter 16 valve high compression setup with two cam belts individually timed and adjustable based upon programming and RPM and a 2k RPM idle.

If you want a bunch of rear wheel hp and aren't spending $15-25k on the motor use John's stuff. If you want to go the Tec3 route call Chris White, he's by far the best in tuning - and with being the best the tune and install times are short which means not super expensive. The system costs a pretty penny, but a bad tuner can double that cost with a botched install.

There have been field reports of Tec motors having trouble at the track, wildly spewing code and overall dying. These cars troubles are usually linked back to a bad install by someone who wasn't 110% sure of how to set it up/install it. Its not a knock on anyone as these systems aren't like legos.

So reliability wise, Tec3 gives you the chance to redo your wiring harness and get rid of any issue you might have down the road, but at higher expense and more time getting setup. Vitesse's setup will allow you to plug and play and usually get to the enjoyment that afternoon and as long as you have a good harness in place you don't have anything to worry about.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Biased? Me?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:07 PM
mikeroz
Advanced

Chris,
I've posted you an email
Mike
Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Well If i am not mistaken ST is doing 602whp using Johns Vitesse stuff. However Guns does bring up a few good points. It all depends on your goals and how deep are your pockets
Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
Well If i am not mistaken ST is doing 602whp using Johns Vitesse stuff. However Guns does bring up a few good points. It all depends on your goals and how deep are your pockets

But the real question is,

Is anyone running Electromotive Tech 3R successfully on a 3.0litre 8v 951 Turbo?

So does it matter what ST is doing???
Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeroz
If so are you willing to share your experiences?

email me on michaerozzell@onlinehome.de

Thanks in anticipation
Mike
TMS951 is running a Tec3R on a 2.8ltr 8v motor. I think he has had good luck with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
But the real question is,

So does it matter what ST is doing???
lol Papi I didnt want to sound to neg on a friday. lol.
Btw we r going down to Hoboken to this party. Wanna come? i konw you and ddp like these type of gtg
Old 01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
TMS951 is running a Tec3R on a 2.8ltr 8v motor. I think he has had good luck with it.
he is????
Old 01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
lol Papi I didnt want to sound to neg on a friday. lol.
Btw we r going down to Hoboken to this party. Wanna come? i konw you and ddp like these type of gtg

Quick Reply: Anyone running Electromotive Tech 3R successfully?