Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ferrari F40 Style Extration Vented Lexan Rear Hatch Screen - Testing the water

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want one of the windows in the initail post for a street car. My window is delaminating from the frame. If it has to come apart I feel that taking the weight off the frame with this window would be a permanant fix.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been doing some mass index calculations today and the good news is that this product will only weigh 3.7 kg at max (aiming for 3.2kg) ... This will be an astonishing saving over OEM let alone other plexi-glass versions.

Here is a side profile tech drawing for now. I now need to look at the air flow characteristics and then the next stage is creating the mould.

I am even considering creating a separate (vents block plate for track and street use). This will universally fit over the top of the vents during winter and wet weather use so the car has no restrictions.

I will go and find some more pictures to Photoshop in the meantime
Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

future, Just make an insert that attaches from the inside. It could snap between the upper most vent and lower most vent. It will allow what ever falls into the upper vents to collect/funnel and spill out of the lower vent. Kinda like a rain tray or gutter.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:14 PM
future
Banned

Dave that's a great Idea - Inside fitment is the way forward and we could even run a seal around it for better fit. I'm just a bit conserned about vibration scratches so will have to investigate further on this one.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
future
Banned

I think you need to come along to one of the big front engined gatherings this year as I know there will be quite a few 924/944/951 guys interested in your rear screens.

PCGB Frontrunner 6th April Cornbury House
Silverstone Classic 25-27th July
TIPEC Gaydon 6th August

I'd really like to see the quality of a non-slatted screen fitted to a road/track car and how you think it would stand up to our 'mixed' UK weather
Hi Paul and thanks for the invite mate - I will sure be attending this year (need to renew my PCGB as well and lost my NAT B - long story.

I'm not very active on the Porsche scene in the UK mainly due to my rediculas work scedule as I travel alot but will promise to start putting in the effort this year.

My car is looking very sorry for it's self at present (just had the inner and outer sills replaced and new N/S front fender welded to stop the rot and this with all the moulds we've taken off the car means it now needs a full repaint and budgets are tight with everything else I'm investing into.

Had a really **** day today as I've got a 2001 996TT on loan with the intension of purchase from a friend and I distroyed second gear today so the wallet is about to get opened again just when I didn't need it (he doesn't know yet).

A few years back I purchased a 964 RS lightweight from Universal salvage which had a damaged box and I'm try not to remember the costs that were involved £7k
Old 01-13-2008, 03:10 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by future
Dave that's a great Idea - Inside fitment is the way forward and we could even run a seal around it for better fit. I'm just a bit conserned about vibration scratches so will have to investigate further on this one.
Just glue in an acrylic frame with acrylic glue and drill/tap it for clear acrylic screws and perhaps O-ring material. The glue dries clear if you get the air out. Thats how I built my acrylic saltwater fish tank.

Otherwise, just use some white foam weather stripping. It will always scratch but it can always be buffed out.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

i have to agree it looks fantastic, i am sure you will have a problem with fumes entering the cabin, the rear of the 944 is a low pressure zone, vacuum will be present on the rear screen. the F40 had a glass window seperating the cabin from the engine bay area(it was platic on the competition version). hence no fumes enter the cabin. i could imagine on a track car fumes could be dangerous.
Sean
Old 01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

May not be as bad as a normal fume issue as the openings can be higher up and could be different with a different spoiler? Also on track with door windows open might keep the fumes away as you would have a flow through effect...with any luck.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk if it would be a positive or a negative effect on in cabin air flow but it sure looks nifty!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
future
Banned

Sean, this is a very interesting point and obviously one that needs addressing, but testing will only prove the point and I'm sure that there is a solution.

Back when I first started being interested in cars and before I became interested in Porsche I was a big TVR fan.

I used to speak with many owners of these specific TVR's who had the old 70's Taimar model (short for Tail Martin - Tail as in TailBack and Martin as in the current owner of TVR at the time 'Martin Lilley'). The vacuum pressure effect was a huge problem with these cars. I recall TVR solved this by firstly extending the exhaust pipes an additional 2 inches (obviously this is not an option for us) and also a cleaver way of venting the hollow FRP rear hatch (sorry not visible in the pic attached).

I will try and dig out some other cars that suffered this problem and how the engineers solved it. I do know that some racecars which had/have similar problems use an interior baffle plate but again this need researching.

Just out of interest as I've mentioned TVR's, it is reported that TVR's Taimar Turbo was the first ever production car to be sold with a Turbo installation ... How many new that!

I'm sure having the vent blanking panel as discussed earlier will solve the 'front windows up' solution so that just leaves windows down/vented and rear vents open - I guess half way there

Yes you are also right that the F40 did have an enclosure screen separating the cabin from the engine bay. This was nothing to do with fumes - It was simply there to act as a fire wall to pass road safety tests. This same technique has been used by many mid/rear engine super cars going back to day dot.

I will keep you posted
Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Subscribe...

Also, I'm probably heading over to Liverpool in the next month or two... City of culture and all that bobbins... I'll be flying in and out of Ringway, and staying near the M62 in between (dates not set at the moment). -Any chance that I can drop by and see something concrete (or plastic! ) while I'm over there?

Cheers,

Keith
Old 01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
future
Banned

Keith - PM Sent mate
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

good job
Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
future
Banned

Thanks Reno P.S. I actually have a rear Euro bumper for you now mate if you still need one.

As PM'ed to Keith to test this theory I intend on cutting some holes in the same positions as illustrated in a stock glass hatch which I have laying about.

As I have no experience in cutting holes in glass does anybody know how I can go about doing this and what tools I need - I'd like to get this right first time.

I consider this to be important before we start creating the Thermoforming mould.

Cheers, Mark

Picture of my spare hatch:

... And welcome to the worlds most dirty garage - Mine

P.S. The bog-roll doesn't represent what I use the bucket for
Old 01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Mark,

If you need any F40 pics. Lancaster Ferrari in Sevenoaks (4 miles away from me) have one there I could take some shots of

Cheers
Tom

Quick Reply: Ferrari F40 Style Extration Vented Lexan Rear Hatch Screen - Testing the water