Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FS: 1989 European Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least it looks like it has M030 option stuff. All '89-'91 Euro models ddin't have them.

But ive got targa and rear wiper...
I could buy it if it wasn't in the us
Sunroof models are more common in Europe than "sunroof-delete-models". Luckily i don't have sunroof in my '88 US spec car.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porschefig
gasoline AND coolant...

Very nice, interesting car. Really should be cleaned up, would sell easily I'm sure.
Coolant? Why do you say that?

Originally Posted by 951Saga
Has this car been hit on the right front? The door to fender gap is too wide.

Driver's side wheel caps are incorrect.
We don't have any accident records for the car however the is no evidence of any major or structural damage or repair. We have about seven Turbos at the shop right now so we just checked three of them that we know have never been hit and they all have 1.5mm difference between the top and bottom, this car has a 3mm difference but none of them had a consistent measurement and most of these cars don't. We're not sure why this is but it can be adjusted and isn't necessarily related to collision damage. With that said the only cosmetic body repair we can find was done to the left front tip of the fender and it's worth noting that the car has had a full paint job.

The wheel caps are correct it just has the painted outline type on one side and the non-painted on the other, I actually didn't notice that.

Originally Posted by Voith
alternator is kinda weak too. on both of my cars, they give a little less than 14V.

otherwise it's a beauty
Actually, the charging system tests fine. The battery it came with at the time of the picture was stone cold dead, as in not coming back to life. Since those pictures were taken we've replaced it with a new Interstate battery.

Originally Posted by marcoturbo
What does the light "EX" in the cluster (above coolant temperature and fuel gauges) mean ?
Heh, I have no idea. I'll try to get more information or maybe one of our Euro members could chime in on that one.

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Wasn't that optional on North American 944 Turbos as well?
It was optional but if you didn't have the option you have color matched covers to cap the holes. That's pretty neat, I didn't notice that either.

It's interesting having a couple hundred extra set of eyes to point things out.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen this car, and it is much better looking than the pictures show. I had considered buying it, but it was a little out of my price range. Wish I could have made it happen.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:03 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
At least it looks like it has M030 option stuff. All '89-'91 Euro models ddin't have them.

Sunroof models are more common in Europe than "sunroof-delete-models". Luckily i don't have sunroof in my '88 US spec car.

Sunroof cars have a stiffer chassis than non sunroof cars
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
Heh, I have no idea. I'll try to get more information or maybe one of our Euro members could chime in on that one.
EX could mean Japanise spec only exhaust temp warning system. VIN and option codes will tell if it was originally meant for Japanise market. Since its LHD there should be C08 option listed if its Japanise. In case of RHD model there would be C18.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
EX could mean Japanise spec only exhaust temp warning system. VIN and option codes will tell if it was originally meant for Japanise market.
You may be correct. The ROW schematic shows the EX indicator ties into the Japan-only catalytic monitoring module. Car was probably a LHD Japan import.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
That is just an excuse for those who envy having sunroof delete, lol.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It's running Motul 300V 15W50 and that picture was taken at full operating temperature, we used a low temperature thermostat and fan switch.
When running a low temperature thermostat I would expect "cooler" oil thus "stronger" oil pressure ?
A 951 motor in good health running Motul 300V 15W50 usually shows an idle oil pressure (at full operating temp) hardly any lower than 4. But then perhaps the AC, front and rear demist were all three on when the pic was taken

We're not sure why this is but it can be adjusted and isn't necessarily related to collision damage. With that said the only cosmetic body repair we can find was done to the left front tip of the fender and it's worth noting that the car has had a full paint job.
The front left fender may have been taken off the car (perhaps replaced), and a poor refit would explain the wrong gap and the incorrect fender/bumper line up.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They must have it, what else they could do if 90% of roof area was made from plastic... I suppose only roof reinforcement was stiffer, rest of the chassis should be same.

What comes to that "EX", i suppose Erkka is right.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
That is just an excuse for those who envy having sunroof delete, lol.
I ike my sunroof cuz my girlfriend likes to sunbath in the passenger seat .. .. ..
Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
I ike my sunroof cuz my girlfriend likes to sunbath in the passenger seat .. .. ..
That's an automatic 3 week ban without pics!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman

It does have the M030 package.

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
I have seen this car, and it is much better looking than the pictures show. I had considered buying it, but it was a little out of my price range. Wish I could have made it happen.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
EX could mean Japanise spec only exhaust temp warning system. VIN and option codes will tell if it was originally meant for Japanise market. Since its LHD there should be C08 option listed if its Japanise. In case of RHD model there would be C18.
That makes sense, it was shipped from Japan to us along with an E30 M3 but all the paperwork and information from the broker lists it as a European import and since its LHD we never questioned it (apparently high-end LHD cars are very desirable in Japan). Maybe it was retrofitted for emissions regulations, we're not sure. The VIN is WP0ZZZ95ZKN100208 is anyone can shed some light on the subject.

Originally Posted by Thom
When running a low temperature thermostat I would expect "cooler" oil thus "stronger" oil pressure ?
A 951 motor in good health running Motul 300V 15W50 usually shows an idle oil pressure (at full operating temp) hardly any lower than 4. But then perhaps the AC, front and rear demist were all three on when the pic was taken

The front left fender may have been taken off the car (perhaps replaced), and a poor refit would explain the wrong gap and the incorrect fender/bumper line up.
I only mentioned the operating temperature because normally it would be much higher than that with a stock thermostat and therefor have higher oil pressure when cold.

I don't mean to call you out on your oil pressure facts but the Porsche factory spec positive oil pressure does not reach four bar at operating temperature until 5000rpm. In fact, coming from a German shop who primarily works on Porsche vehicles the majority of which are 944 Turbos, we've never seen one get four bar idling at operating temperature even on fresh racing builds.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The VIN only indicates it's an ROW car (not USA or CDN spec) for MY 1989. There is no Japan-specific VIN.
If it were a JP spec car then it would likely have option code 193 'Version for Japan'. If you post the option codes we may have a better idea.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:59 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I only mentioned the operating temperature because normally it would be much higher than that with a stock thermostat and therefor have higher oil pressure when cold.
Well, what does the oil pressure gauge show when cold then ? 4.5 ?

I don't mean to call you out on your oil pressure facts but the Porsche factory spec positive oil pressure does not reach four bar at operating temperature until 5000rpm. In fact, coming from a German shop who primarily works on Porsche vehicles the majority of which are 944 Turbos, we've never seen one get four bar idling at operating temperature even on fresh racing builds.
Although it doesn't comply with my experience this is an interesting statement. There may be more internal differences between Euro spec cars and Japan/US cars than I thought. Sure thing is I would steer clear from a Euro car that shows as little idle oil pressure when warm if running a 15W50 grade oil.

Best wishes for the sale, it sure looks like a nice car and examples with so little mileage are getting very rare.

Last edited by Thom; 01-12-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 01-12-2008, 04:39 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

I do agree with Thom.

On my rebuilt engine, I see 4 bar at idle at full operating temperature with Motul 300 V 15w50. I only see a low 3 bar at idle in hot traffic hams when my A/C compressor (A big Sanden, not the stock Nippodenso) works. Before the rebuild, the pressure was 0.5-1 bar lower with the same oil.

Quick Reply: FS: 1989 European Turbo S