Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Bang for the Buck mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bang for the Buck mods?

I recently purchased my 951 in October of this year after selling my "S" that I had for 4 years. It came with a MAF Autothority setup / Stage 2 chips but I'm looking to do some power mods this spring and wanted to start the planning now in the winter months....looking for the best mods for the buck.
Any suggestions, be specific.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
turboted
Racer

For power mods, I would suggest - in order of best 'bang-for-the-buck-quotient' - cat delete, adjustable boost controller, DP wastgate, then larger exhaust. Do you already have a 3bar FPR? Also, FWIW, I would invest in a WBO2 sensor and a boost gauge before adding any other mods.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 PM
nize
Banned

first, before you start power modding and stressing the motor and related parts, go through everything and make sure it's all tip-top.

i wouldn't be surprised if this alone costs you $2k.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I would ask WHY do you want to do mods? What are you looking to get OUT of the car? If it's something like track driving, then your money is best spent on seat time to make you a better driver... If it's to impress bench racers, then go for bling. If it's for a dyno shoot-out, dive into the engine mods. If you're looking for handling, start with the best wheels and tires you can afford, then move on to suspension.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wait for someone to sell their already hopped up car. You will get the mods for free.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

I'm still learning about the turbo and I'm not too familiar with everything yet but the PO already did a MAF setup , chips and installed a custom boost gauge infcorporated on the front pillar. He also installed an adjustable boost controller that he told me was set @ 15. The boost feels great as compared to my "S" and the car is pretty quick as it stands right now.
I'm probably looking to do something with the exhaust...possibly headers and 3" Lindsay exhaust. I also don't want to mess too much with the emissions stuff but I'm willing to swap out the CAT once a year just to pass inspection.
I'm looking to keep the total cost of mods to under 1K...not looking to spend more than that.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Buy a Zeitronix wideband lambda with EGT, boost and o2-sensor and save the rest of the money. Then fine tune and find the next thing to upgrade.

Btw, what kind of chips is in the car? There are a few that are stone age tech.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweanders
Buy a Zeitronix wideband lambda with EGT, boost and o2-sensor and save the rest of the money. Then fine tune and find the next thing to upgrade.

Btw, what kind of chips is in the car? There are a few that are stone age tech.
??? Sweanders...you're talking greek to me...
Stage II Chips
Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 PM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by peterjcb
I'm still learning about the turbo and I'm not too familiar with everything yet but the PO already did a MAF setup , chips and installed a custom boost gauge infcorporated on the front pillar. He also installed an adjustable boost controller that he told me was set @ 15. The boost feels great as compared to my "S" and the car is pretty quick as it stands right now.
I'm probably looking to do something with the exhaust...possibly headers and 3" Lindsay exhaust. I also don't want to mess too much with the emissions stuff but I'm willing to swap out the CAT once a year just to pass inspection.
I'm looking to keep the total cost of mods to under 1K...not looking to spend more than that.

Looks like you already have a wideband. Does the lower gauge in your A-pillar pod read numbers that vary with engine speed and register 14.7 at idle? Next step is to determine whether or not the PO upgraded your wastgate or not. The LR 3" exhaust is a very nice peice (and affordable) but a PITA to install (be warned). I have no experience with aftermarket headers, but personally feel your money could be better spent elsewhere, as the power gains are not THAT significant. As far as your chips and MAF, the Autothority stuff does not enjoy the best reputation on this forum as the technology behind them is a bit outdated. I have the same MAF and stage 2 set from APE and plan to switch to a different set of chips soon. I expect this alone will make a significant difference. My $.02.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 PM
86951Turbo
Advanced

the lower gauge in the a pillar is the autometer run-o-mill narrowband.
Tial 38 + sfr adapter + boost controller + 3 bar + wideband (Innovative, AEM, Zeitronix....)
well...if i had bought a running car that's what I would have done just as a band-aid for boost addiction.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:22 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by peterjcb
??? Sweanders...you're talking greek to me...
Stage II Chips
Stage II what? Autothority?

I suggest that you search this forum with a list of words and read every thread containing them. It will take you a weekend or so:

tial
zeitronix
wideband
egt
wastegate
backpressure
boost controller
mbc
ebc
bleed valve
black ****
accuboost
reliaboost
a/f
rich
lean
detonation
ping
turbo
vitesse
sfr
autothority
authority
junk
banans
pigeons
strawberry jam
apple pie
bacon
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would second bacon its a great modification. However, I think you just need more octane.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love bacon. Unfortunately, it make my car a little slower.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:49 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Ok, after doing the bacon mod search for lexan and carbon fibre
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Peter, Since I had similar mods to yours I would agree with others get rid of the cat and put my exhaust on. Don't waste your money on headers, yours are not leaking. If I had the money and I wasn't modding my suspension at the moment, I would do a Wide Band O2 and get rid of the narrow band. Then after that I would do the wastegate. I did what you have first and wished I had done the suspension stuff I have now first, realy changes the car. Since you already have the maf (jealous) I would do the 3" exhaust next about the price of just a test pipe. It would get rid of almost all of your lag.

Quick Reply: Best Bang for the Buck mods?