Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Check this out, this might change the design of the internal combustion engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Trammel looks like the old aviation motors.
Yes it does, except for the fact that it needs to be an odd-number of cylinders. Due to the radial layout, the vibration will not be dampened well unless there is a slight offset w/ the cylinders -- an effect achieved by simply increasing the total cylinders from 4 to 5.

And this is kind of a sad thread for me, because I had the idea for that motor a few years ago! Aw maaaaannnn. I've always wanted to stick a radial engine in a car, too.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the next generation of engines we'll get appear to me to be hybrids between Diesels and spark ignition engines. They will operate as diesels at partial throttle and leisurely driving and as a spark ignition at WOT, spirited driving and higher RPM. These engines will include variable compression ratio's and independent cylinder variable valve timing and lift. Two companies are developing these currently - GM and Mercedes/Crysler. The Merc engine uses an eccentric big end bearing to vary the engine stroke to achieve the variable compression ratio, whereas the GM solution closes the exhaust valve prematurely to trap exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber to achieve the same effect. Both companies say we'll see these engines in the showrooms in about 5yrs time or so. The tricky bit at the moment is the engine management during the transition phase between diesel and spark ignition modes. Apparently you can't efficiently control by conventional ECU maps due to the large number of variables and the speed at which things change and they are in the process of developing some form of real-time artificial intelligence to control each cylinder and each stroke.

The benefits are best bits of both engine types, diesel economies with none of the drawbacks.

The rigid con rod arrangement at the top of the thread looks familiar to me. I'm sure i've seen it before. I think it was an arrangement used in steam engines in the past, well something very similar at least.

Good to see companies and people are still willing to invest time and effort in the development of internal combustion engines that run fossil fuels. In these days of propaganda about impending environmental catastrophe due to our daily commute into the office every day I'm surprised internal combustion engines have not been consigned to the scrap heap.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sawood12...just wait awhile - its coming

Quick Reply: Check this out, this might change the design of the internal combustion engine