Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installing Factory Main Studs and Head Studs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
86951Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Factory Main Studs and Head Studs

When I had the Darton Sleeves installed I got charged evertime the main studs and the head studs had to be installed and removed. I couldn't take it anymore so I told the machine shop not to install them. the main studs or going back in, but the head studs or being replaced w/ factory items. Forgot that they didn't have allen head provisions in the stock studs.

I decided that I don't want to install racewear or arp studs. mainly because it's not in my budget. sooo.....back to the orginal question

when installing the studs do you lock two nuts together and torque the studs that'a way? do you also use assembly lube on the threads? loctite? Do you have torque specs? or staged torqued specs if there is a process?

thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install height is 73mm, +/- 1mm. clean the hole before installing the factory studs. I've used red loctite when reinstalling factory studs; I put a good line at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, just me because I don't just glob it on there. If the threads are clean, you can just about put them to depth without double nuts but you'll probably have to do a couple that way.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
86951Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

73mm +/- 1mm from deck to end of head stud. apply loctite on threads w/ clean hole. any specifics for the main studs? I've been looking for it in the service manual. i guess i'll just measure the spare block that i have.

thanks for the quick reply!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
Install height is 73mm, +/- 1mm. clean the hole before installing the factory studs. I've used red loctite when reinstalling factory studs; I put a good line at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, just me because I don't just glob it on there. If the threads are clean, you can just about put them to depth without double nuts but you'll probably have to do a couple that way.

A little OT but what do you personally use with ARP studs? They recommend to install them with teflon tape to the right height but I don't believe they hit bottom. If that's the case have you ever had a ARP stud try to turn down further when you torque the the head down? I think I'll index mark the tops of the stud just in case since I'm doing that this weekend.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
A little OT but what do you personally use with ARP studs? They recommend to install them with teflon tape to the right height but I don't believe they hit bottom. If that's the case have you ever had a ARP stud try to turn down further when you torque the the head down? I think I'll index mark the tops of the stud just in case since I'm doing that this weekend.
I had this conversation with Raceware once. They recommend the teflon on the bottom and oil on the nut to make sure the stud does not screw in beyond the install height when torquing. (Their torque spec is also keyed to an oiled nut). Porsche obviously took a more extreme solution with red locktite. Somehow, I think they would have been fine with a quarter of the strength and quantity of locktite used at the factory. The depth of the holes and thread vary from block to block in my (albeit limited) experience, so can't be used reliably as a reference point.

Quick Reply: Installing Factory Main Studs and Head Studs