Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Turned the key on the 3 Liter... (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/400765-turned-the-key-on-the-3-liter.html)

333pg333 01-05-2008 01:27 AM

Amazing result there Tom. What's 'Simple Green'? Sounds like some mouthwash. Although you probably can't read this...heheh
Do you do house calls to other countries. Man you get stuff clean on your car!

Tom M'Guinn 01-05-2008 01:38 AM

It's this. :)

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_family.php

As for housecalls -- where are you in Australia? Sydney is one of my favorite places. :)

333pg333 01-05-2008 02:15 AM

Right. They market that juice all over the world just with different names I think.

Yep, many of the Aussie Rennlisters are from Sydney with a couple from up near Brisbane and a few from Mexico, I mean Melbourne. When were you here?

ehall 01-05-2008 02:53 AM

Leave Tom alone. His garage floor has dirt on it! :D

CarbonRevo 01-05-2008 03:00 AM

I'm just vice versa. Clean garage floor, not so clean motor. lol

Looks good man. I do prefer gas though! :evilgrin:

Tom M'Guinn 01-21-2008 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, over the last week or so, I've got everything buttoned up again and have been slowly breaking in the motor. It has about 70 miles on it now, and runs great so far. It has more throttle response than the old motor in the sub-4k range off boost. Still not a stump puller, but better than the 2.5. The Vitesse software is spot on despite the jump in displacement. The Vitesse turbo makes a little twitter sound as it spools -- similar to my old Huntley turbo but you can almost hear it moving more air. The motor itself sounds and feels, well, normal. And, for the first time since I've owned it, no oil or p/s leaks! Everything is dry as a bone under there!

The vacuum at idle has jumped from 17 to over 18 -- makes me wonder how strong it will be once the rings are fully seated. I have not run any boost yet of course -- that will have to wait till things break in. Still need to address some ugly grumps and groans in the driveline. I forgot how loud my tranny had gotten before I pulled the motor. I've been doing plenty of engine braking (decel in gear) to seat the rings and the old tranny hates it. Debating whether to plug in the LSD spare as is, or having it rebuilt first. Once it's all broken in, I'll be heading to the dyno... :)

Here is the motor in place. Funny how little of the detail work is visible when fully installed. Just goes to show you how hard it is to tell the difference between a truly well maintained motor vs. one that's been cleaned off on top.

rsrdan 01-21-2008 08:35 PM

very clean dude!!

Under Pressure Performance 01-21-2008 08:44 PM

I disagree, I think it still looks like a nicely detailed engine!

By the way, I tried to call you today (left a message) give me a buzz when you get a chance.

In the meantime - Enjoy!

A.Wayne 01-21-2008 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn (Post 5011074)
Well, over the last week or so, I've got everything buttoned up again and have been slowly breaking in the motor. It has about 70 miles on it now, and runs great so far. It has more throttle response than the old motor in the sub-4k range off boost. Still not a stump puller, but better than the 2.5. The Vitesse software is spot on despite the jump in displacement. The Vitesse turbo makes a little twitter sound as it spools -- similar to my old Huntley turbo but you can almost hear it moving more air. The motor itself sounds and feels, well, normal. And, for the first time since I've owned it, no oil or p/s leaks! Everything is dry as a bone under there!

The vacuum at idle has jumped from 17 to over 18 -- makes me wonder how strong it will be once the rings are fully seated. I have not run any boost yet of course -- that will have to wait till things break in. Still need to address some ugly grumps and groans in the driveline. I forgot how loud my tranny had gotten before I pulled the motor. I've been doing plenty of engine braking (decel in gear) to seat the rings and the old tranny hates it. Debating whether to plug in the LSD spare as is, or having it rebuilt first. Once it's all broken in, I'll be heading to the dyno... :)

Here is the motor in place. Funny how little of the detail work is visible when fully installed. Just goes to show you how hard it is to tell the difference between a truly well maintained motor vs. one that's been cleaned off on top.

Wow , really clean setup !
Heavy engine decel to break your rings in ! i would not recommend doing so , much better putting a little boost on the engine in the lower gears every now and then to help seat the rings for the first 500 miles ....

special tool 01-21-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by A.Wayne (Post 5011249)
Wow , really clean setup !
Heavy engine decel to break your rings in ! i would not recommend doing so , much better putting a little boost on the engine in the lower gears every now and then to help seat the rings for the first 500 miles ....

I agree with Weighin..

Give it a little boost, Tom and change engine speeds frequently..

CarbonRevo 01-21-2008 09:19 PM

Wow, that's clean. I do agree on the comment about motor bays being deceiving. Mine is that way. Pretty spotless up top, but if you crawl underneath, you'll see the true story. lol

Duke 01-22-2008 05:02 AM

Super clean!
And yes, give the little fellow a little boost :)

333pg333 01-22-2008 05:39 AM

I guess 'Heavy' is well , heavy, but I always thought doing a little bit of backoff decel was part of run in, along with going up and down the limited rev range. Running on the spring should see a few lbs of boost anyway, yes?

evil 944t 01-22-2008 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by special tool (Post 5011278)
I agree with Weighin..

Give it a little boost, Tom and change engine speeds frequently..

Tom, Be careful. ST's idea of little boost is 28psi at 6600rpm, making 602rwhp, 5 hrs after his motor had a full rebuild.:banghead:

Tom M'Guinn 01-22-2008 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, thanks alot guys! I turned up the boost like you said and it twisted the center right out of the tire...